Dinner at the Hawthornes

The end of March rolled in a little to quickly. The flowers growing, leaves green, and blue skies tell me I should do something productive. But I haven't done that since September, when we got back to 12. Katniss convinced me to start school next year, but I'm still a little iffy.

We hadn't really socialized much, mostly just whenever Sae and her granddaughter, Hailey stop by. But tonight Hazelle invited us over for dinner.

As we walk through the somewhat deserted streets of 12, Katniss and I talk about all the repairs over just six months.

Once we finally arrive at the seam, Posy is outside playing and notices us immediately. She comes running, and I pick the little girl up as she gives me a huge hug. She then does the same to Katniss.

We're led inside and the house looks better than it used to. They definitely added more to it, and it felt so much more cozy.

"Hi Hazelle! How are you?" I ask as she pulls my sister and I into her arms. "Amazing, but I'm kind of disappointed this is the first visit. How are you girls?" Katniss laughed, but I continued to look around the rooms. "Can I go find Rory?" I interrupted suddenly. Katniss tilted her head, but Hazelle said yes, so I ran up the stairs to where I remember Rory and Vick slept.

I open the door slowly and Vick is in there alone, reading a book. "Hey Vick." I whispered as I entered the room. He looked up and immediately smiled at me. "Prim! I haven't seen you since 13! He yelled excitedly. "I know, it's been to long." I agreed and I took in his looks.

He's eleven, but just as tall as me. Gale's tall though, so it must be a normal thing. His dark brown hair and gray eyes make him look a lot like Gale, tho they were almost ten years apart.

We talked for a few minutes before I asked where Rory is. "Down the hall. He took Gale's old room. He's mad about it though." I nodded as I got up.

I opened the door, and surely as ever, Rory was sitting at his desk, asleep, doing some sort of homework. I walked in quietly and pulled another chair from his closet and sat next to him.

I shook him awake slowly. "What?" He grumbled and I rolled my eyes. He was always such a grumpy sleeper. He picked his head up and turned to face me. "Prim?" He asked, and immediately hugged me. "I missed you." He said into my shoulder. I felt my eyes water, it hurt to stay away from my best friend for so long. When he finally let go I took a second to admire him. He had the same brown eyes and light brown hair as his mother.

"Where have you been? I've seen you walk by." Rory said as he slowly released me. "Home. It's just to much." I took a look at his homework, while I could feel his eyes observing me. "I'm sorry." Was all I said. "Why are you sorry?"

I shrugged and felt a tear roll down my face. He wiped it off, and hugged me again. I started to cry onto his shoulder. It reminded me of a time a two years ago, the night after the reaping. Hazelle had invited my mom and I over for dinner to try and comfort us.

I ran upstairs after dinner, following Rory  into his and Vick's bedroom. We sat down on his bed, and he started talking about how awesome he thought Katniss would be, and he thought she would win, and how idiotic the baker kid looked. As he kept talking, I started to cry. He noticed and sat me up slowly, and hugged me. He allowed me to cry to him until my mother called me to go home. That was the night Rory and I became best friends.

"Dinner!" Posy called from the hallway, and I quickly released Rory, wiped my face, and took a few deep breaths. Katniss would not see me cry.

Throughout dinner, I saw the old Katniss a bit. She was who she always used to be, happy. But I saw her anxious looks towards me, and I knew she thought the opposite.