𝐭𝐰𝐨 ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

𝐎𝐡 , 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐞𝐫

𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

ELEANOR WAS IN school all those long hours throughout the summer of 1977. It was only when she was with the kids, babysitting, that she felt alive so fully. The children she looked after had the ability to break her out of the mold she had been forced into. On a daily basis, Eleanor was taught that to be happy, you have to earn money, and to be successful. While watching the Dawson kids, they laughed as if it was all a big joke. They don't know it, but they saved her. They saved her from drifting off and becoming someone who didn't love from their soul and sang it from their eyes and in their voice.

By the time that summer was over, she quickly realised that her time at school had ended. There would no longer be lunch breaks, lockers or libraries. She was by herself now, and it weighed heavy on her shoulders as she began walking to the Dawson's house. They lived on the other side of the train tracks, where all the homes were painted in pastel colours, and the families that lived there were happy and hadn't ever thought of divorce. The houses hugged together, sharing walls and forming a row of storybook perfect, rooftop peaks. The picket fences lined the pavement like The Grand National had come to town. She mused at the perfectly groomed gardens, mowed with stripes in plaid patterns. The envy started to trickle into her bloodstream.