Chapter 33: Reunion

Fuck BCCI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"–sunta kyu nai hai? Hello? Hello?"

Shahneel was at the other end of the phone, trying to impart some common sense into her brother, who seemed to have been floating on clouds for the past few days.

"SHUBI!"

"Ha Di sunn raha hu."

Exasperated, Shahneel replied,

"Ullu de patthe, dhyan kaha hai tera - phirse patidev pe toh nai chala gaya?"

"Didi dheere bolo kisiko pata chal gaya toh?"

"Acha ji? Ye tab nai socha jab Ishan ko utha utha ke phere liye jaa rahe the?"

Shubman blushed despite himself. It was true, ever since that night, he had a hard time keeping himself from thinking about Ishan at every given moment. His daily life was fast becoming chaotic because of it, but he did not give a damn.

Like right now, for example - where Shahneel was scolding him because he was forgetting simple things like eating or sleeping.

Better to pay attention, Shubman thinks, lest Di take it upon herself to come down here and beat the crap out of him.

"Yes Di, I promise I will eat, and look, I am going to go to sleep right now. You worry too much."

"Ofcourse I am worried, you idiot. My otherwise calm and rational brother went and got himself married!"

Shubman rolled his eyes; he had been hearing variations of the same argument for days - Virat, Rohit, and Shahneel had reacted the same way - shock and awe, usually followed by a pitiful interrogation, to which Shubman replied monosyllabically and cut the call.

He was in no position to answer; Ishan had been silent, what was Shubman to do?

"–phirse dhyan fisla tera?"

"Nai Di, I am here."

Shahneel took a deep breathe. Brothers, she thought. Idiots.

"Shubi....koi khabar?"

The silence on the other end was all the answer she needed.

"Don't lose hope, brother mine."

"I know Di, don't worry. It's just....there's this growing itch in me now. I just want to see him once, or just hear his voice. I thought it was worse before, but now I feel like I am bound to go crazy sooner rather than later."

"I believe it's called the newlywed effect. I hope to experience it myself someday, hopefully before I go crazy worrying about you, so will you please take care of yourself?"

Shubman promised and laid his head down. Di was right, he did need to take care of himself. Well, that was a task for a 4-hour later Shubi, he thought, and fell asleep, dreaming of soulful eyes and gorgeous lips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ishan reached Shubman's house in Mumbai, he had to bribe his security with loads of sweets to let him go without announcing his presence. Luckily, they had known he was a regular visitor, so it was easy to convince them. His heart was in uproar, and Ishan was quite sure that the entire world could hear it. He adjusted his bag on his shoulders, and took the lift to Shubman's floor.

He had been nervous the entire flight - thoughts of what he would do once he came face-to-face with Shubi swirling in his mind. He thought of picking up his phone and letting him know that he was coming, but then thought better of it. He wanted to savor the look on Shubi's face when he finally arrived.