Chapter 4: Palpitations

I know all of you are waiting for the grand milan, but please give me time. I know I am building the story up quite a lot, but as this is my first time writing anything (ever), I want to expand my writing horizons and understand my style. Thank you for your patience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you asked Shubman how he reached Mumbai, he would not be able to recount a single moment of his journey. All he remembered was the fearful look in his sister's eyes as she put a jacket on him and handed him his backpack, the cacophony of noises that seemed to come from a place far, far away, and the eventual dread that sat like lead in his stomach.

He felt like a machine on autopilot, watching life happen to other people. He walked in a haze, surrounded by people going about their lives, while his was concurrently locked in his throat and on a hospital bed somewhere, thousands of miles away (that sobered him up quickly for a moment, but he quickly shoved the thought in the back of his mind, intent on taking it out for further inspection when his life didn't hang in the balance).

He was numb, but he felt to close to breaking, and he was unsure what he would do once the dam broke. He needed his support, and his Shahneel di was perfectly willing to come with him, but he remembered the vehement 'No!' he had responded with, knowing perfectly well that this journey, this torture was his and his alone, and he would walk it alone.

He landed at the airport, and was about to walk out when a hand on his shoulders lifted him out of his haze.

It was Sonu, Virat bhai's bodyguard who had come to pick him up.

Something loosened in Shubman's chest at the gesture, something that had gotten stuck since Virat's "I will be the first person you see"; Shubman was glad to know his Virat bhai was thinking about him, because lord knows how he looked, and the media frenzy at the hospital would be worse.

He gave a tiny nod to Sonu, who took one look at him, muttered something in his walkie, and hauled him into the car standing nearby.