Chapter 30: The End?

"X-ray reports."

"Check."

"Medication."

"Check."

"Physiotherapy equipment."

"Check."

"Your brain."

"Ch–hey!"

Shubman laughed and expertly dodged a pillow. They were packing Ishan's bags - he was getting on a flight home today. Arrangements were already made to transfer his care to a local hospital, and his health had finally permitted him to travel normally instead of being airlifted (Shubman had been a strong advocate for it, but one look from Ishan had shut him up).

Shubman would be leaving for home tomorrow - he had (2)homes to lock up, appointments to keep, and gifts to buy (this, for Shahneel, who had kept their parents off Shubman's back). He had obsessed over Ishan's departure for days - checking and rechecking everything, confirming if Ishan really was healthy enough to travel alone, and making up excuses to accompany Ishan to his home (Shubman had not been able to put a fight when Ishan said, "I am not an invalid!" in a broken voice, as if he wanted to prove something to himself.)

Shubman was not ready.

He was not ready to go home.

He was not ready for Ishan to go home.

He was not ready for this bubble of normalcy to burst.

Shubman was not ready to face reality.

So he hid, behind not-so-funny jokes, excuses, obsessive checks, and impromptu freaking-out texts to Shahneel about how Ishan seemed ecstatic over leaving him.

Ishan's face in his periphery brought him back.

Ishan stood in front of him.

His face looked tired for some reason, even though he had been excited beyond words ever since he had gotten the green signal from the doctors to go home.

He licked his lips, unsure how to start.

"Shubman, I...."

Shubman gave him a small smile, encouraging him to continue.

"Thank you. I...whatever happened, just....thank you. For taking care of me all this time. I know I haven't been the best of patients, but you still looked after me. Thank you, for–"

A tight hug muffled his next words. His arms automatically wound around Shubman's waist, and he could hear the loud thud of Shubman's heartbeats as he boomed,

"If you say one more word about how thankful you are, I will not let you go. It's already the hardest thing I am having to do, don't tempt me to lock you up."

"But I–"

"You want to test me?"

Shubman pressed Ishan to himself a little more, and Ishan whimpered at the friction. He didn't know if he would ever get a chance to be this close to Shubi again, so he nuzzled Shubman, inhaling his heady scent and stowing it away for months to remember. He suddenly felt like crying, felt like he would not see Shubman again, and he squeezed him a little harder to make sure the boy in his arms was real. He cleared his throat, and choked out a small "Let's get going," before picking up his bag and walking out, without looking back.

He knew he would want to stay here - where Shubman behaved as if he was his, where everything was alright - if he looked back even for a second.

Ishan had to be brave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ishan was not brave.