Stella

I grabbed the large bag of dog food and tossed it over my shoulder, trying not to let it topple me over in the process. Times like this would be great to have a car. Now I have to heft this heavy bag all the way home while also keeping a hold of my new best friend's leash.

Hulk is a sweet boy though, so I know he'll make it easy on me. I don't know who his owners were before I adopted him from the shelter two days ago, but they're severely missing out. He's been so easy to train with simple commands and he's the cuddliest thing in the world. He's basically a giant teddy bear. Just with teeth.

He's a mix between a Cane Corso and something else. The shelter was close to euthanizing him because he's so scary looking that no one wanted to take the risk and adopt him in case he ripped their faces off. I can totally relate to that feeling, since that's how pretty much everyone in town treats me. So, naturally, I adopted him. Best. Decision. Ever!

I pay for the food and exit the store but come to a dead stop when I see a giant of a man standing next to Hulk, who is currently laying on his back begging for belly rubs. The dog, not the man.

Although if the man begged for belly rubs, I might be obligated to assist. For all women's sake, anyway. I'm a giver like that. It would totally be for purely selfless reasons. It definitely has nothing to do with the way my panties are completely flooded at the sight of him. Nope, not at all.

The man I'm currently gawking at has to be over six foot, he's built like he lifts trains and tosses them aside for a living, and has medium length dark hair that sits all messily as if to say "I don't give a fuck". He has piercing cerulean blue eyes that I find mesmerizing as I get lost in them. They're like pools of sky that I can both swim and fly away in. That makes sense, right?

He's wearing biker boots with dark jeans and a black t-shirt that looks like it's a couple of sizes too small because I can see every hard muscle outlined through the fabric. He has intricately designed dark tattoos that cover his arms and peak out at the top of his shirt, angling up towards his head. I have to physically stop myself from rushing over to him and running my tongue down them as if they would have their own unique flavor. If I licked him wouldn't that make him mine though? God, I like the sound of that.

What the hell is wrong with me?

If I had to describe him in one word, it would be powerful. I trail my eyes back up to his and find him studying me just as hard as I was him. I feel my cheeks getting hot as I blush. No one has ever looked at me the way he is right now.

I wonder what he sees when he looks at me? He's not from here so he must be new. I know damn well I would have noticed him before. So maybe he finds me attractive? At least until someone fills him in on how I'm close to one day going off and setting the town on fire, or whatever else it is people think I'm going to do in my inevitable psychotic break.

Those thoughts are the bucket of ice I needed in order to come back to reality. He may be the hottest man I've ever set eyes on, but it's only a matter of time before he's avoiding my presence like everyone else in town.

I clear my throat and look behind him and spot all the folks in the diner with their noses pressed against the glass watching us like we're a sideshow entertainment. I look back at him and summon every ounce of courage I have so my voice doesn't come out in the needy whimper I can feel climbing my throat.

"Can I assist you?" Really, Stella? That's the first words you could come up with? I sound like a retail worker talking to a customer. Even Hulk peers at me like I'm an idiot.

Mystery giant smirks at me before he steps closer and grabs the heavy bag of dog food from my hands and tosses it over his own shoulder like it's as light as a pillow. Seeing how strong he is has my lower stomach tightening in need.