Tragedy

Trigger warning: miscarriage. (I use dice rolls to decide the story soo I apologize.)

It had been a few days since the group arrived at Moonrise. They were still waiting for Wyll and Gale. Shadowheart was getting increasingly worried. Halsin had seen no sign of them yet. What business were they doing that it was taking so long? She sighed as she plopped herself down on her bed in the room she was in. She all of a sudden heard a scream of pain. It came from Lediana's chamber, Shadowheart thinking someone was coming to get her, bolted to the room and saw Lediana in pain. Shadowheart saw Regala and shouted., "Go get Halsin and Astarion.... NOW!" Regala ran out of the room, Shadowheart took her blanket off and saw blood. Shadowheart immediately goes into healing mode while waiting for Halsin's help.

Several hours later, Halsin and Shadowheart emerge from the room to a worried Astarion. "She... there seemed to have been a complication of her pregnancy and so, the child died. I am so sorry." Halsin broken it to Astarion gently. Astarion just hollowly nods and goes past them into the room. Lediana was laying in bed, upset and crying. She sees Astarion and tries to reach out to him, "Astarion..." "How could you?" He says coldly to her looking out the window. "I... I don't understand....." "You lost our child..." "I.... Wait, you think I somehow lost our baby, on purpose?!" "How else did it happen?" "Astarion, please.... I need..." Astarion whipped around angrily at her, "I don't give a damn what you need..." Astarion winced at his own words and stormed out of the room. "Astarion, please come back!" Lediana calls out to him but he slams the door. Lediana sinks into the bed sobbing alone.

Regala comes in not long after and comforts her. "Why.... Is he blaming me?" Lediana asked Regala. "I can't say Lediana, but he could just be grieving and said it without thinking." "The look in his eyes.... He was upset about our argument we had hours before."

~~~~~~~~~Earlier that Morning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They had their worst fight in a long time. Back while they were on their journey there were several things they did not see eye to eye on, but this felt different.

"Astarion, all I am saying is I feel ready to..." "I know you think you are, but ascending you while you are with child, is risky and I cannot put either one of you in danger." "So what, wait until the child is born?" "Well... not exactly.. I want to give you time to recover.." "SEE?! This is you moving the goal post again. I am starting to think you never had the intention to ascend me to begin with." "Lediana... That is not.." "You once told me that no vampires would be willing to make competition. So is that what you see me as?" "No I did not..." "If so, then you are no better then Cazador!" Lediana wished she could take those words back, but she threw down the gauntlet now. Astarion, his eyes went from pain to anger in a second. "What did you say?" "You heard me and if you are going to be like him then I wish this child was never born!"

That Night

How could she have said that? She was left alone by everyone per her request. She understood why he was angry but she did not mean what she said about the baby. She wanted that child more than anything, she was just angry. Did the gods hear her and that's why she lost her child? Lediana, still in pain from the loss, quietly packs her backpack. She plans to go to their old campsite from when they were last here. She really needed a moment there. Maybe, as she packs her bedroll, sleep there. She just needed to clear her head under the night sky. It was where she was always the happiest. She opens her door ajar, sees no one and walks down the hall and stairs and out the door. As she crossed the bridge she looked back one more time. She left a note on Regala's door. She would be back in a day or so. Maybe by then, the Treefather would show her what she needed.

It did not take long for Lediana to get there, and it felt comforting as she laid her bedroll in the spot it always was. She looked over where Astarion's tent once was. This was the spot where, he confessed to her he had feelings for her and wanted more, even though he had originally planned to just sleep with her for protection. She had always thought that even though he ascended there was always a part of that Astarion in there. She started to wonder, when she noticed out of the corner of her eye, a bat was hanging from the tree appearing to be asleep and a raven, about two trees away. As she started to settle into her bedroll, she heard someone walking towards her. Grabbing her staff she jumped up, "Who is there?!" She called out.

"Easy, I am not the enemy you think I am." As he steps out into the campfire light. "Sabal." She said as her eyes harden. "Easy, I am not going to attack you. All I wanted is to talk." Lediana, maybe against her senses, lowered her staff. "What do you want?" "I never known for spawn to leave their master's sides unless ordered. Did he finally get rid of you if you intended to sleep here?" Sabal asked. "Astarion does not keep me under a leash. He does not even do that for the spawn in our household." "Ahh, ao he just lets his "consort" wander the woods alone?" Lediana went to go answer but the hurt must have been in her eyes. "Ahh, sounds like you had a lovers quarrel." Lediana, turning away, told him, "That is none of your business."

"But, you see it is. If you join our cult, I can promise you will be protected. There is room for you in Tiamat's eyes." Lediana shook her head. "I would never join you, even if Astarion decides to be rid of me." Sabal sighed, "I was hoping it would not come to this." He brings out a scroll and casts a spell. Before Lediana could even react, she felt, warm and funny and the last thing she saw was the bat, fly and attack Sabal as she fell to the ground. Sabal swatted the bat with his hand and as it fell to the ground the bat transformed, to reveal it was Astarion. The raven also came down and lo and behold it was Halsin. Sabal chuckles, "Well Well, I am not surprised you two were watching her." Astarion took a step towards Lediana but Sabal scooped her up. tisking at Astarion. "I don't think so Vampire. She is coming with me." "Like hells she is. The only place she is coming back to is us." Astarion told him as he got ready to pounce. "Give her back, Sabal and we can grant mercy." Sabal shook his head. "Sorry but we have to run. However, if you want her back, come find us at the Druid's grove." He shimmered away with Lediana as Astarion lunged for him. "No... Lediana!" Astarion cried out as she dissapered with him. His blood went cold. "No... This was all my fault... If i hadn't..." Halsin puts a hand on Astarion's shoulder. "Now is not the time. You could not have known this would happen. Come we have to go. We have to find Wyll and Gale, and then go after Sabal." Halsin went into bear form and dashed off. 

Astarion stood there for a moment cursing himself. Before long, he felt something wet on his cheeks, he goes to wipe it, but he sees his eyes are getting cloudy. He collapses sobbing. He regreted everything he said to here. All he wanted to do was give her space so they could talk. He shook his head. Right now the blame game would not help anyone. He transformed back into a bat and flew off towards the towers.