Chapter 1: Beginnings And Bonds

The two boys Dr. Halsey saw in front of her were best friends. They even looked like each other. Rick and Jake sounded alike and they both had blond hair. The resemblance was redicilous. No wonder they were friends. These two already showed comradery and loyalty and at age six, that was pretty remarkable. These would do very well.

Rick and Jake came from the small town on Regashi in the Inner Colonies. This would mean it would be very easy to get them to Reach. Those two had all the positives.

'Boys, you two have shown great potential in you and are being sent to a place where you be made into something special. This can take a while but you will come out, as I said, something special. I want to give you the choice: stay here or become special.'

Both boys sat in front of her in their schools office, dumbfounded by what she had just said but understood 'being made special'.

'Okay.' Said Rick, after processing this.

'This one is a natural leader.' Halsey thought. 'What he says will influence those around him.'

Just as she suspected, Jake bounced up on his chair and smiled.

'I can do it!' He yelled as continued bouncing enthusiastically.

'That won't ever change.' Thought Halsey as she stood up and gestured to the marines behind her. They did a bio scan of they boys and left. Another two marines came in and took the boys out to the awaiting Pelican.

The first pair of marines appeared with two boys that looked exactly like the ones that had just left the room. They smiled and sat down.

'Flash clones ready for deployment, m'am.' One of the marines said.

'I can see that. Send them away.' Halsey replied. Flash clones were ones that were quick to make and did not last long. They were supposed to have an "accident" in which the clone was killed and forgotten about and the real ones could do otherwise. Easy solution. The marines ushered the clones out.

Halsey then returned to the Pelican they flew in on and disembarked to the "UNSC Intrepid", a small frigate that was now going to Reach, going to the boy's future.

----------

The same thing happened with 298 other children aged from 2 to 6. Frigates were sent, flash clones deployed and children shipped off to Reach for development. Development of the body, mind and spirit. Development of humanity. Dr. Halsey was creating a new type of humans.

----------

A pelican with 2 marines and 8 kids landed inside the huge compound's landing pad. The kids were lead out of the pelican and across the grassy plain the compound was. They were lead to a building where the children were to be briefed. The room held the rest of the 292 subjects.

The subjects entered and were sat down. They were told what Rick and Jake were told and that there was a big risk of what lied ahead. They were then lead out to bedrooms.

Rick and Jake were in the last 8, and were directed to a room with 2 bunk beds. One kid was bouncing a ball off the concrete wall and the other was hopping around and talking frequently and fast. Just Jake's type of people. He looked like he had just drank enough coffee for the 4 of them in one sitting.

Jake wandered over to the second kid and stared at him.

'Hi' he said.

'Hi. My name's Lancingham Walker but I call myself Lancer. I'm from Arcadia. Who are you?'asked the kid.

'I'm Jake.'replied Jake.

'Nice name. That's Warner over there, with his ball. He's cool. He's from Earth, in Scotland. Who's your friend?'asked Lancer

'That's Rick, we came from the same school on Regashi' Jake said

Lancer grinned.

'Nice to meet you both.'

'You too.'said Rick and Jake at the same time, then looked at each other and giggled.

A marine came in and announced bedtime. The boys all reluctantly climbed into bed and drifted off to sleep