Day no. 2

The party lasted until late at night and the next morning I went riding to separate myself and take a break from everything. I really wanted to be alone. Although in fact only Leora's smile and look full of joy flowed through my thoughts. My horse, River, led across the fields where he wanted, but he led us to the waterfall under which I bathed as a child. I rolled up my jeans and wet my legs as River entered the water and splashed everything around with his hoof. So I was wet even though I was sitting on a rock by the edge.

- Jake Seresin. Boy, you've been gone for a long time. - I heard behind me. It was our retired groom, but he lived only a few kilometers from us. He worked for my grandfather and remained faithful to my father.

- Good old John. How are you? - I asked and got up to hug him. The old man didn't care that I was wet, and River ran to him too. The idiot learned John always has treats, so this time he pulled them out of his pocket and offered them to River.

- How are you, boy? Wife and children?

- Alone as a bird, John. I'm on leave, so I visited my parents.

- Your mom always says at the market how she misses her little Jake and recounts the story of how you said at the age of 4 that you would be a pilot and a general.

- So she hasn't forgotten that. - I said, frowning with a smile. Of course she recounted it. As much as she was proud of me, she was just as afraid if she would hear my voice after the mission was over.

- Jakob, son, it's your time. Get married and have children so you won't be alone in life. - old John told me and patted River before leaving. I rode River and returned to the ranch where the guests had already dispersed and my family was alone together.

Mom was alone in the kitchen, so I offered to wash the dishes. She loved such things because we could be alone.

- Did you enjoy riding? - she asked me.

-Yes I am. I went to the waterfall, but the River splashed me, so I came home wet.

She laughed and put away the already dried dishes. She kissed me on the cheek and leaned on my shoulder.

- They told you, didn't they?

- That you blocked in front of Leor? And that you watched her work after you talked about Croatia?

- Sometimes it's not good to be the middle child with two sisters.

- Invite her for a drink. I'm sure she liked you.

- Mom, I don't know. I believe he knows that I'm not exactly a saint when it comes to women. - I said under my breath. But Leora is a special girl and I don't think she would settle for just anyone. We talked a little more before Jack came to visit me prepared for tonight's "hunt" as he liked to call it. I went to get dressed and found black jeans, a white linen t-shirt and a biker style jacket in the closet. Jack was impatient and we had to hurry. It was already night and he wanted to enter an elite night club in Austin. Of course there was a line in front of the club, but I didn't care too much because I was expecting my relatives to arrive as well. I don't know why, but I looked in the opposite direction from the club and saw Leora cleaning the interior of the pastry shop. It seemed like she was singing because she turned around a couple of times as if she was dancing to the rhythm of the music.

- Jack, I have to go do something. The guys are there in about twenty minutes, and the line doesn't move. Ok? - I asked Jack.

-Sure, man. I'm waiting for you and don't stay too long.

I ran across the road towards the 'Lunette' pastry shop and saw Leora sweeping the floor. I knocked on the door and waved at her.

- Hey. Do you need something? We've been closed for half an hour. - she said softly, visibly tired.