EPILOGUE - SKIES AND ORDER

Gombe, Nigeria.

December, 2022.

The annual Ardo gathering shifted to a new venue this year, taking place on the ranch. The expansive space had been meticulously adorned, creating an ambiance of liveliness.

Mubarak held his niece in his arms as he approached a cluster of cousins seated on a vibrant carpet spread across the ground. "Inti," he called out to one of them, a warm smile gracing his face. "It looks like you might just gift me this adorable baby of yours. She's too precious, tabarkallah."

Intisar chuckled while her daughter, Amani, waddled over to her side. "Shouldn't you be busy making your babies?" she teased.

Mubarak scoffed, "Ahn ahn, from where to where?"

The banter continued as more cousins joined in. Safiya playfully added, "Yes, mana Hamma Mubarak, it's time for you to give us some nieces and nephews."

Mubarak shook his head, a mischievous glint in his eye. "On wantini yan gite walahi. Toh, your prayers have finally been answered..."

Before he could finish his sentence, they burst into lively chants of "ango."

"Gist us, please..." Mufida eagerly interjected.

Khalifa seized the opportunity to join in. "Her name is Laila..."

However, Mubarak halted him with a playful swat on the back. "Amebo! Is it your gist?"

---

Fa'iza plopped down onto a chair next to Hammadi, letting out a sigh of exasperation. "Kai. Mi somi walahi. I'm leaving your son for you."

Hammadi raised an eyebrow, a playful smile on his face. "What did he do now?"

Fa'iza rolled her eyes, her frustration giving way to a fond smile. "Do you know how I found him? Covered in mud. That's what I get for dressing him in white clothes."

Hammadi chuckled, offering her comfort. "I told you, let him play abeg. Isn't Hally watching him?"

Fa'iza hesitated before responding, "Yes, but..."

Hammadi interrupted her gently, "But nothing. You like stressing yourself, walahi. Relax." He draped his arm over her shoulder, soothing her.

Fa'iza finally relaxed, finding solace in a plate of cupcakes Hammadi had thoughtfully set aside for her. She swatted his hand away playfully when she noticed a group of their aunts discreetly watching them from a nearby corner.

Hammadi always found her shyness endearing and sometimes intentionally provoked her just to see her reactions.

At a distance, Hajiya Asiya rummaged in her bag, retrieving a piece of kola nut which she bit into. "I don't know what's with my stomach these days. I'll eat something, and the next thing I know, I'm feeling nauseous."

Najma sympathized, saying, "Sannu. It's probably the weather." She then turned to her other sister and said, "Yauwa Jidda, when did you say we were taking those things for Mubarak's wedding?"

"An sa rana ne?" Asiya inquired.

"Not yet," Hajiya Hauwa replied, "We're still finalizing with Baban Mubarak. You know how everything..."

"True, true. Allah hokku sa'a," Hajiya Asiya agreed.

Sa'adatu entered the scene, holding a small basket. "Adda Jidda, here's what you asked for..."

"Miyatti," Hajiya Hauwa acknowledged, taking the basket and rising from her seat. "I'm coming."

She found him on one of the porches, comfortably reclining in a chair, and joined him. "I brought some fura for you. Should I mix it?"