LOVE AND RIDES

Abuja, Nigeria.

14th April, 2017.

Kamal took off his shoes at the door, the rich scent of lily and jasmine oil from a diffuser welcoming him home. His stomach grumbled with hunger for his mother's catfish pepper soup. The day had been long, and he needed some relaxation. The soft glow of a chandelier illuminated the tastefully decorated living room, furnished with plush velvet sofas and elegant wooden coffee tables. The TV played softly in the background, adding to the calming ambiance of the space.

The sound of the TV alerted him to the fact that his parents were home. He walked towards them and greeted with a Salam. His sister Hafsah was in a corner scrolling through her mobile phone, the dim light highlighting her round face with chubby cheeks.

He seated himself next to Hafsah and playfully pulled her ear. "Didn't you see my missed call?"

"I was just about to call you back," Hafsah replied, her face engrossed in her phone.

Kamal's father, a man who embodied the essence of wisdom with a snowy white beard and a furrowed brow that commanded respect, turned towards him, his back straight and his posture impeccable. "Do you plan on moving your business back to Abuja or what?"

Kamal was confused and looked towards his mother for an explanation, who gave him a questioning look.

"My business is doing perfectly fine where it is," he replied.

"I noticed you are in and out of here lately," his father added, his voice firm.

Feeling hurt, Kamal stood up, the frustration evident in his movements. "Oh wow. So it's now a crime to want to visit my family? I guess I'd take my leave since I am not welcome here."

His father did not care much about what Kamal said as he turned his attention back to the TV, his demeanor unchanged.

"Kamal," his mother called. "Sit down. You know that's not what your father meant."

He sat back down, not because of anything, but because he did not want to upset his mother. Besides, he had important news to tell her.

"He's in and out because of some other business," Hafsah said, trying to reduce the tension in the room.

Kamal glared at her, but it was of no use. She had already carried out her blabber-mouth duties.

"What business?" His father asked, his attention now back on them, his gaze unwavering.

His mother was also waiting to hear, her gentle and nurturing presence calming the atmosphere in the room.

"He's seeing someone," Hafsah said.

Kamal now felt like giving his sister a hard knock for what she had just done. This was not how he had intended to break the news, but he went ahead to finish the job.

"Yes. I have been seeing someone, and I intend to marry her."

No one said anything for a while, not that he was surprised. He was expecting this reaction. His parents, especially his father, had been really upset when they learned about the divorce. His father refused to speak to him for weeks and did not forgive him for ruining the relationship he had with Rukayya's father. Rukayya's father and his father were longtime friends and colleagues in the Nigerian Army.

"I hope this time around, it will last long. We all know your habit of dropping out of things," his father remarked.

"Hussein?" This was one of those rare moments where his mother referred to their father by his first name, her concern for her son evident in her voice.