Chapter 3

After I got something for Thorin to eat Balin asked him about his meeting, "what news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Thorin nodded "Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms." They cheered softy then Dwalin asked "and what did the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" Thorin looked down at his food, "they will not come." I rubbed Thorin's back in comfort as the other muttered sadly. Thorin put his hand on my shoulder and continued to talk "they say this quest is our and ours alone." Everyone looked around not knowing what to do, then Bilbo asked "you're going on a quest?" Gandalf turned to him and asked politely, "Bilbo, my dear fellow let us have a little more light."

I moved my chair out of the way and stood to the left of Thorin, in between him and Bofur. "far to the east over ranges and rivers beyond woodland and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak." I looked over Thorin's shoulder to get a better look, when Bilbo did too only he read the name of the mountain, "The Lonely Mountain." "Aye, Oin has read the portents, and the portents say it is time." "ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain, as it was foretold." Each dwarf had something to say to this topic, and I loved how they voiced what they knew or found out. "when the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end." Bilbo came out of his pantry and we turned to look at him, "uh, what beast?" then Bofur told him, "that would be a reference to Smaug the terrible, Chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire-breather. Teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks. Extremely found of precious metals." He said as he described Smaug.

"Yes, I know what a dragon is." Bilbo said to stop him from talking anymore, but Ori stood up and said bravely "I'm not afraid. I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of Dwarfish iron right up his jacksie!" I smiled at his bravery Nori shouted out an encouragement while Dori pulled him down "sit down." Then Balin started up, "the task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number just 13. And not 13 of the best, nor brightest." One of them shouted "here, who are you calling dim?" the Fili call out "we may be few in number, but we're fighters, all of us, to the last dwarf." Then Kili cut in "and you forget, we have a wizard and an elf in our company. They will have killed hundreds of dragons in their time." Then Gandalf and I got a bit nervous.

Oh, well, no. I wouldn't say—"how many, then?" "what?" "well, how many dragons have the two of you killed?" Gandalf started to cough on his smoke and I hit behind Thorin, as they pressured us into giving a number that didn't exist. And when we didn't they started to yell at each other, the only ones that didn't yell were Thorin and Balin. Bilbo tried to calm everyone down "Excuse me. Please." Then I felt Thorin's back tense as he stood up and shouted at everyone to shut up. "if we have read these signs, do you not think others will have read them too? Rumors have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for 60 years. Eyes look east to the mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk." I loved it when he gave these heart-felt speeches.

They gave him power over the dwarves in his company, "perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor?" then cheers shot up as they all agreed with their king. But then Balin shot them back down, "you forget, the Front Gate is sealed. There is no way into the mountain." Then Gandalf ooh that clever wizard surprised them all, "that, my dear Balin, is not entirely true." Then he pulled out a key from the inside of his sleeve. Thorin looked at the key, but he grasped my hand and held it as he asked "how came you by this?" Gandalf held it just out of Thorin's grasp and said "it was given to me by your father. By Thrain. For safekeeping. It is yours now." Then he gave it to Thorin. The room was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Fili broke the silence, "if there is a key, there must be a door." Gandalf then pointed to the map again "these runes speak of a hidden passage to the Lower Halls." Then Kili grabbed his brother's shoulder and smiled "there's another way in." "well if we can find it, but dwarf doors a invisible when closed." Gandalf sighed "the answer lies hidden somewhere in this map, and I do not have the skill to find it." Gandalf looked at me and I knew exactly what he wanted to do but we both know there is now way to get them there without lying.