10

October First. It's Threshing day. My leg is bouncing as I sit with Imogen at the table. " You'll be fine, you're badass, any dragon will bond with you." Imogen pointed out. " Yeah, but what if-" I felt a tap on my leg, and I looked down to see a shadow holding out a white rose. I let out a laugh and let my eyes travel to Xaden, who winked at me. " Oooo, what did lover boy send you?" Imogen craned her neck, but I hid the rose. " Nothing for you, nosy. Quinn, control your girlfriend." I teased. " Please, Quinn knows I'm the dominant one." Imogen gave me a pointed look, and I gagged. " Ew, Imogen, nasty." I gagged. " Like you've never fucked someone before." She snorted. I smiled, getting up. " Bye Imogen." I gave Quinn a wink and left to go sit next to Sawyer. " Oh yeah, Threshing!" Ridoc whooped. I grimaced, and Lana started yanking my hair back, braiding it. Once she was done, I handed her the white rose. I could feel her stare, but she said nothing and tucked it in securely. " Let's go!" We leave and start to walk a small hike, and I can't help my laugh as Ridoc upchucks this morning's breakfast. " Which one are you going for?" Lana whispers to me. " I don't know." I sigh. Lana grins. " Well, I saw this Red one I think liked me." She smiled hopefully. " Just be careful, ok?" I told her, concern filling my voice. " I will, don't worry." She smiled. "If you go in groups, you're more likely to be incinerated than bonded," Professor Kaori argues with someone near the center of the valley. "The scribes have run the statistics. You're better off on your own." "And what if we aren't chosen by dinner?" a man with a short beard to my left asks.

Barlowe looks straight at me and draws a line across his neck. I flip him off, scoffing. "If you're not chosen by nightfall, there's a problem," Professor Kaori responds, his thick mustache turned down at the ends. "You'll be brought out by a professor or senior leadership, so don't give up and think we've forgotten about you." He checks his pocket watch. "Remember to spread out and use every foot of this valley to your advantage. It's nine, which means they should be flying in any minute now. The only other words I have for you are 'good luck.'" He nods, sweeping his gaze over the crowd of us with such intensity that I know he'll be able to re-create this moment in a projection. Then he leaves, marching up the hill to our right and disappearing into the trees.

My mind spins. This is it. Ride... or be forgotten and an embarrassment. 

"Be careful." Lana pulls me into a hug, her braids swinging over my shoulder as she tightens her arms around me. "You too." I squeeze her back and am immediately swept into another pair of arms. "Don't die," Ridoc orders. I laugh. " Same to you." Sawyer is the last to say goodbye, squeezing me tightly. " Be careful, okay Rosie?" He demands. " Of course Sawyer. I swear." I promise, and we part pathes. I can hear the rushing water coming from deeper into the forest, and I go sit by the water on the stones, peacefully mediating. I hear a jaw click, and I turn around to see a purple and white dragon. I gape. " You must be the hybrid." I remember. I scramble up. " Listen to me right now, young dragon. Go, and find somewhere to hide, there are people-" The bushes move, and loud voices come. " Where is it?" " We have to kill it now." " It's only a liability." Barlowe emerges from the trees, Oren and Tynan flanking him. Barlowe's eyes narrow on me. " Oh look, the two weakest links. Now we can kill both off. I take my sword from my belt and twirl it, stepping in front of the hybrid. " You might want to use fire now." I hiss at it, but it doesn't move. " Do you not any fire?" I groan. I feel a tingling in my back, and I don't have to glance to know it's Xaden. "I would strongly recommend you rethink your actions," a voice—his voice—demands from across the field to my right. Sgaeyl lets out a terrifying roar, and I couldn't be happier. Until I'm not. My hopes sink, and I slump a little bit. " There's nothing you can do, right? Wingleader?" Jack bellows. "It's not me you should worry about today," Xaden responds and Sgaeyl tilts her head, nothing but menace in her eyes when I glance over. 

" You're really going to attack a squadmate?" I ask flatly, even though I know the outcome. "Squads don't mean shit today," he seethes, menace curling his lips into a sinister smile. "you should really be flying." I toss over my shoulder again, and the golden dragon chuffs low in its throat in response. "Great. Well, if you can back me up with those claws, I'd really appreciate it." It chuffs twice, and I spare a glance down at its claws. Or should I say...paws. "Oh, fucking hell. You don't have any claws?" Barlowe roars a battle cry, and I don't hesitate to stab the tip of my sword into his shoulder, making him cry out in pain and collapse. But Oren and Tynan have charged at the same time, and they're almost on me. I twirl, blocking Oren's attack with my sword and side stepping and kicking Tynan. Oren recovers quickly and swings for my ribs. I do a crescent kick and the knife he's holding fly's out of his hand. "She's destroyed my shoulder!" Jack cries, stumbling to his feet and distracting the others. "I can't move it!" He clutches the joint, and I grin. " That's what happens when you have brain cells." I smirk. "You know exactly where to strike."