21

Mira looks at me, saddened. Uncomfortable, my gaze fell on her scar on her neck. "How did that happen?" "Gryphon," she answers, nodding. "Near the village of Cranston about seven months ago. Things came out of nowhere in the middle of a village raid. The wards went down, and usually, my signet gives me a little immunity from the enemy wielders, but not their fucking birds. Took the healers hours to stitch me up. But it gave me a pretty cool scar." She tilts her chin to show it off. "Cranston?" I think back over the Battle Briefs. "We never learned about that one. I..." Common sense tells me to shut my mouth. "You what?" She takes another drink. "I think there's way more going on along the borders than what we're told," I admit quietly. Mira lifts her brows. "Well, of course, there is. You don't expect Battle Brief to relay classified information, do you? You know better than that. And honestly, at the rate our borders are being attacked, they'd have to devote all day to Battle Brief in order to dissect each assault."

"That makes sense. Do you guys get all the information?" "Only what we need. Like, I could have sworn I saw a riot of dragons across the border during this attack." She shrugs. "But questions about secret operations are above my pay grade. Think of it this way—if you were a healer, would you need to know the details about everyone else's patients?" I shake my head. "No." "Exactly. Now tell me, what the fuck is going on between you and Dain? I've seen less tension on a crossbow, and I don't mean the good kind." She gives me a look that leaves no room for excuses.

"I needed to change in order to survive. He wouldn't let me." It was the simplest explanation for the last nine months. "I got his friend Amber killed. She was a wingleader. And honestly, everything with Xaden just pushed us so far apart that I don't know how to repair our friendship. Not to what it was, at least." "The execution of that wingleader is common knowledge. You didn't get her killed. She got herself killed by breaking the Codex." Mira studies me for a quiet moment. "Is it true Riorson saved you that night?"

I nod. "Xaden is a complicated subject." So complicated that he doesn't like me. Thinking of him only jumbles me in a way that leaves me tangled in knots. I want him, but he doesn't want me, not in the ways I want to. And yet in other ways, he's the person I trust most. "I hope you know what you're doing there." Her grip tightens on her mug. "Because I distinctly remember warning you to steer clear of that traitor's son."

My stomach turns at Mira's description of Xaden. " Glacies clearly didn't heed the warning."

She snorts. "But really, if Xaden hadn't shown up that night, or if I hadn't been sleeping in the armor..." I pause and lean forward to touch her hand. "I can't even begin to tell you how many times you've saved my life without even being there." Mira smiles. "Glad it worked. I swear it took an entire molting season to collect all those scales."

"Have you thought of telling Mother about it? Getting them made for all riders?" "I told my leadership." She leans back and takes another drink. "They said they're looking into it." We watch Lana kiss her nephew's perfect chubby cheeks. "I've never seen a family this happy," I admit. "Even when Brennan and Dad were alive, we weren't like...that." "No, we weren't." A sad smile curves her mouth as she looks at me. "But I can remember plenty of nights we spent curled around the fire with Dad and that book you love."

"Ah yes, the book you made me leave in my old bedroom." I arch a brow. "You mean the book I snagged just in case Mom got a wild hair and decided to clean out your things while you were in the quadrant?" Her smile morphs into a grin. "I have it at Montserrat. Figured you'd be pissed if you graduated and it was gone. I mean, whatever would you do if you forgot a minute detail of how the gallant riders took out the army of wyvern and the venin who sucked the land dry of magic?"

I blink. "Shit. I can't remember. But I guess I'll be able to read it again soon!" A bubble of joy rises in my chest. "You are the best." "I'll give it to you at the outpost." She leans back and gives me a thoughtful look. "I know they're just stories, but I never used to get why the villains would choose to corrupt their souls and become venin, and now..." Her brow furrows.