第三十四章

A/N  The editing was rushed so forgive me for mistakes >-< Happy 2024 everyone!! I'm back to school now so updates are going to slow down again...also exam season, yikes!

 Although the incident was resolved quickly, not even the power of the heavens could stop people from wagging their tongues. Amidst the chaos, the truth distorted little by little like a giant game of telephone. Who didn't know that the king was chasing his bodyguard? Yet, that bodyguard carelessly threw away the king's favour and instead, boldly trasped around the palace with his little lover. Of course, when he was discovered, the king loved him so much that he couldn't bear to hurt him and instead turned his anger on the unfortunate Noble Consort.

Xiu Ying, sitting at a daliplated table with fragments of porcelain around her feet, gritted her teeth in anger and fear. Her loyal maid lay trembling at her feet, a hint of a bruise forming on her pale cheek. She didn't understand! Clearly, she had no fault in this matter, why was she sent to the cold palace?! Those two words were enough to send every woman of the harem into a shock. Indeed, the cold palace's accommodations were poor, but the true meaning was symbolic; they were no longer in the king's favour. For the consorts and concubines, that was the worst future they could have.

Outside the imperial bedroom, Liu Qingyuan ignored the burning gaze on his body and stood silently, waiting. It was still early morning and the sky was just becoming lighter, awash in shades of pale blue that made one's eyes hurt to look at after the dark comfort of the night. He glanced lightly to his side, making eye contact with the palace guard always stationed here. That guard's shocked expression was quite funny to look at, even as he hurriedly looked away.

The guard, young in the ways of the world, peeked up again, wondering if the rumours were true. Liu Qingyuan was no peerless beauty, but his handsomeness lay in the angles of his face and the temperament that flowed quietly under the surface like a steady river. With the morning light highlighting his profile, the guard could understand how the king's heart might have been snatched. Though...the thought of two men together was really baffling...

"Is something the matter?" The mellow voice shocked him out of his daze and he hurriedly shook his head, not willing to face that frosty gaze. Before another incident could occur, the door of the imperial bedroom slid open and the king, in all his glory, appeared.

"Your majesty,"

"Y-your majesty!"

"En." The palace guard flushed slightly in shame, lowering his head and not daring to look up. Jiang Zhilan caught his actions at a glance, but he only inwardly sighed and ignored the impulse to pinch his brow.

"Let's go."

"En." The pair of them set off for the throne room, trailed by a perpetually anxious Eunuch Shuang. The palace guard couldn't resist giving their backs a few more glances.

◆◇◆◇◆

"Your majesty, forgive this servant's incompetence. All traces of the assassin's have disappeared without a trace." The official bowed low, face blushing slightly in shame and indignation as scolding murmurs rose around him. He gritted his teeth secretly. It really wasn't his fault! If those in a higher station than him decided to cause drama, what authority did he have to investigate it? It was simply unfair!

Jiang Zhilan hummed, steady gaze bearing down on the official's back. "Investigating such plots are often dangerous tasks. Right State Minister, you've worked hard. Take the next week to recuperate at home. Don't worry your family."

"...yes, your majesty. Your majesty needn't care about this humble servant's wellbeing." Such words were slightly muffled, forced from his throat. He straightened, glaring at the official next to him who was looking at him with smug disdain. Although the words sounded fancy, suspending him from court for a week was really a punishment due to his incompetence. In the next seven days, he wouldn't be able to observe the court dynamics, putting him behind in the politics unless he found a good informant.