第十三章

Once again, Qing Yuan stood guard at night. The weather was warmer today so it wasn't too bad. He leaned on a pillar, eyes closed, arms crossed and resting his body. Besides, the king had spontaneously decided to give him the morning off, arguing that he'd been staying up too many nights to guard his chambers. Qing Yuan didn't mind. He collapsed back in bed, the wound on his shoulder throbbing.

The wound in question throbbed gently at his collar. He'd managed to scrounge up an antidote for the poison but the wound itself would take longer to heal. Qing Yuan thought about the poison in the wine, and now the poison on that female's blade. They were clearly trying to hurt the king but were they truely stupid? With the phoenix mark, Jiang Zhilan was practically impervious. And if it did affect him, he'd recover faster than any ordinary mortal. Or perhaps, the legend was so far buried that people forgot about the existence of the Qiangda flower and it's connotations. Qing Yuan wasn't sure himself.

His thoughts all swirled together, the warm night coaxing him into sleep, until Qing Yuan felt as if were surrounded by fuzzy warmth. His training prevented him from falling over as he drifted further into sleep. A quiet creak had him wide-awake. He lazily opened his eyes as the door beside him opened from the inside. His eyes fell on his figure and he was enraptured. It didn't show on Qing Yuan's face but, for a moment, he stared in awe.

In the pale moonlight, Jiang Zhilan looked like a rare beauty. Under his dark brows, the black fans of his eyelashes spilled over peach blossom eyes, and his shapely lips were pink. The silk of his hair messily framed his delicate face, looking as if he had just been rolling around restlessly. Jiang Zhilan's robes were mused, the loosened neck revealing a pair of collarbones as fine as jade...

Qing Yuan hastily looked away. A standard imperial guard kneeled at the foot of the steps, posture rigid while Qing Yuan didn't bother to stand up from his slouched position against the pillar. "Your majesty, is there anything you need?"

"Hm, couldn't sleep." The pair of guards looked uncertainly at each other, unsure of what to do.

"Would you like me to summon Eunuch Shuang?" One asked hesitantly.

Jiang Zhilan thought for a moment, then shook his head. "Just bring a few jars of pear blossom wine." Jiang Zhilan rubbed his temples. He couldn't sleep because he couldn't stop thinking about Qing Yuan. Not in that way...probably...

That bandage...he glanced over, only to find Qing Yuan already looking at him. They stared at each other for a moment before Jiang Zhilan looked away shyly. "Come in."

Qing Yuan followed him, helping open the wide bamboo window and light the candles. Jiang Zhilan settled at a low table, cheek in hand, watching Qing Yuan in the ambiguous air. He sighed. "The moon looks beautiful tonight." He reached out a hand as if to touch the pale face in the sky over Qing Yuan's shoulder. He couldn't help but wonder how it would feel to be there, alone, but free from responsibilities. Jiang Zhilan dropped his hand at the sound of the door.

"Your majesty." Eunuch Shuang looked disheveled, as if he'd thrown on his clothes in a hurry. He carried a jar of pear blossom wine in his arms and a couple maids trailed over him. "What are you doing up so late? Are you not feeling well? Are you unable to sleep?"

Jiang Zhilan smiled fondly at his fussing. "Just leave that here." He gestured to the table. "Just a few drinks to help me relax." Eunuch Shuang retreated, standing by the door despite Jiang Zhilan's insistence that he go back to bed. He gave up trying quickly.

With the cloth cover removed, the fragrant smell drifted into the air. Jiang Zhilan poured himself some, inhaling the fragrance and tossing it back. Eunuch Shuang looked like he wanted to protest. Jiang Zhilan thought it was kind of awkward. With Qing Yuan looming above him and Eunuch Shuang across the room, both watching him drink alone.