第二十七章

A/N  a longer chapter yayy~~ 3.5k words <3 

Imperial bodyguards were, in a sense, superior to the ordinary guards within the imperial palace. Although the quality of men selected to work as soldiers in the palace were high, there was inevitably still bribery and backdoor enlistments from nobles and other wealthy families. With imperial bodyguards, it was different. As direct protectors of the members of the royal family, the physical and temperamental requirements had to be superior. Indeed, Liu Qingyuan fit those requirements but it was still luck from heaven that allowed his forged document to pass inspection.

After performing in his post for several months, his authority had gradually risen. He and the king had a tactful understanding and inevitably, there were people who wanted to break this understanding before the pair became invincible to the ulterior motives of court motives. Thus, Liu Qingyuan was selected to escort the distribution of disaster relief materials. Although an imperial bodyguard must not leave their client's side, the king himself was eventually won over (albeit reluctantly) with the fact that he trusted Liu Qingyaun wouldn't embezzle anything, as well as the fact that he was simply the best in terms of skills. Even so, there was still a sense of uncomfortableness.

"...en." Liu Qingyuan bowed, receiving the order. Although he did not voice it, a moment was enough for his slight hesitation and surprise to be caught by the king. In all reality, he hadn't thought that the king would allow it. Jiang Zhilan looked up from his work, and stared for a few seconds. In the low-lit study, two gazes clashed and after a long while, gradually heated up.

Liu Qingyuan looked away first, gaze flicking back as Jiang Zhilan smiled, setting down his brush and propping a hand on his cheek. "It can't be that you're afraid you'll miss me terribly, could it?"

"..."

Faced with his impassive face, the king sighed, raising his arms above his head to stretch. The cool air flooded to his body and he hastily dropped his arms, the thick and fur lined outer robe falling back into place around his body and creating a bubble of warmth. "Oh that's cold."

"Do you want me to request for more oil?*" Jiang Zhilan waved a hand.

(*for lamps)

"It's alright. It's getting late." Although it had not yet snowed, the wind howled fiercely, bringing with it the promise of a bitter winter. Jiang Zhilan gazed out the window. His previous enactment of the disaster relief plan had been postponed because of his untimely disappearance last time. Now looking at the foreboding winter to come, Jiang Zhilan was anxious to deliver the relief supplies to those still suffering from effects of the summer drought. The king turned his gaze back to the stoic guard beside him. He reached out, directly taking his hand.

Liu Qingyuan stiffened at first, but unconsciously tightened his hand. The king's hand was slender and jade-like, ice cold to the touch. Liu Qingyuan frowned. Wrapped in a mink coat and still this cold? He would have to get people to increase the amount of oil burned at night, or at least wrap up the king in more layers. "You should wear more."

Jiang Zhilan looked at him incredulously while tugging on his collar. He had so many layers around his neck, he felt like he was going to suffocate! He clung to Liu Qingyuan's hand. "Actually...I also don't want you to go. The quickest path to the southern villages is through the ice* valley. What if a snowslide happens?"

(*if y'all have a better name, plz feel free to suggest)

Liu Qingyuan paused then, "Are you cursing me?" Jiang Zhilan looked up, startled.

"Pei, pei, pei!*" The king quickly patted his mouth and Liu Qingyuan almost laughed out loud, his mirth shown in the glisten of his eyes and the slight curve of his mouth. Jiang Zhilan shot him a glare. "Don't say that! I was wrong!" Feeling a sudden urge, Liu Qingyuan leaned over slowly, grabbing the armchair's arm to support himself.