Ophelia Chapter Seven

Not a speck of dust contaminated the room. Nor the stench of miasma polluted the air. Nothing could risk the life of the most precious being arriving to the castle. Embroidered cushions softened the hard edges of the plentiful furniture, countless fur blankets were folded and ready. The small tables stood smug, displaying ample amounts of food ready for the castle's expectant guest, in a mixture of hot and cold meals. In preparation, I had already filled a tub full of water for washing and sprinkled an abundance of petals. Steamed towels were hung waiting to be used. A woollen dress was already hung by the fire, warming its weaved fibres. So much care was taken for these creature comforts. Every corner of the room bloomed with a few choices of winter flowers, each powerful in their aroma to subconsciously calm the arriving mortal mother. To soothe her nerves and ease her child. Most women that arrived to Illyria had heard the nightmare of myths that originated from this island. What awaits the women was practically a pampered paradise. I took small pleasure at seeing each light blazing at their understanding, that they no longer had to suffer in great discomfort. Cordelia loved...

I stopped the thought. Cordelia wasn't here. I stifled another sigh, least the guards would hear. Growing up in a court of vampires evolved me to exist in silence. Father had allies everywhere and everything was reported back to him. Itching the last straggling nerves, I donned my gloves to prevent my frail skin from bleeding within the newly formed scars. The softest of drafts blew into the room, carry scents of fragrant woodland, and though my nose delighted in sampling its scent on my tongue, my hands burned once more to be itched, twitching into trembles. Shutting down my eyes and pinching my nose, the imagination crumbled back into reality. Worry marred my thoughts, as the visions were getting worse. Thankfully, I knew them to be unreal.

Cordelia was safe as far as I knew. Father said ignorance for a woman was blissful, least worry mar her pure mind. Though, I did worry for her. Cordelia was housed in the heart of the enemy, the Fae Palace. Until she was exiled, Cordelia was my only friend, and I was healthier. I didn't need to wear gloves when she was here. Having bottled and stored my inner thoughts, I feared that they would soon overflow and overcome my every prevention. For the longest time I had no one. I didn't want to cause conflict, but in being mute, self-censorship made conversing near impossible. Father would be displeased if he found out anything, like how I wished to have joined Cordelia and been her handservant, but that wouldn't do for neither the vampires, nor Father.

I was lonely more than ever and I needed something to fill this void in my existence, for I wasn't living. But Father wouldn't give me permission to leave the castle under any circumstances and only a sparce handful of slim options opened for new friendships in the castle. New men's faces appeared every two years, whom I was forbidden to interact with, and the rare off chance an expectant mother was there, I only had a few days to spend with them before their labour took them away. I was suffocating under Father's watch and stifled in the vampire castle. I could hardly breathe. So protected I was that only I could threaten myself, but even then, the guards would hear anything out of ordinary. Scent any drop of blood. Taste my approaching death. The constant ache to speak to someone was almost overwhelming. Even though all mortal women of Illyria had their place in society, I felt adrift in this island. I had no anchor. Father denied my want to marry though I had just reached the acceptable age, and the vampires denied my offer to become a sustainer, citing my blood was better served for my offspring. I met dead end after dead end to my life's purpose.

Another wave of irritation engulfed my hand, but I ignored it and the occupying flashes of woodland. Turning to a forgotten corner, a forest trail was placed instead of the dark corridors and the cackle of the torchlight was replaced by the moaning of opal blazed trees. Blinking away at the visions, it soon vanished as fast as it came.

Approaching footsteps startled me to gaze about the room once more, attempting to separate real from my imagination. Nothing was out of place. It was all perfect, except for the smile I forced on my face. The door opened, revealing the usual vampire escorts, as no human male was to be left alone with a mortal woman in the castle by law. From the scatty red eyes, gaunt cheeks and limp hair, the poor woman had barely the energy to stand, let alone keep pace with the towering guards. A faint blush coloured her cheeks and thin hands encased her large stomach protectively. The guards left without a word to me, knowing I was more than capable. Though, Cordelia was always better at everything and possessing the most confident voice, I was just a shade of her. Cordelia was what I could never obtain to be. I wasn't brave like her.