Chapter Fourteen

"Well, things have certainly changed since the last time you sat in this chair, Miss Leah. Would you like to tell us a little bit about what you've been through the last few weeks?"

The same reporter as the first time I'd been on the news held a microphone to my face. He was still sweating. Jeez, he probably needed to get that looked at.

"Well, first of all, I'm a criminal now, so that's different," I said, a little sarcastically.

The reporter forced a laugh. "I heard your trial was one to be remembered!"

"They say I'm just a passionate teenager, and I suppose I'm not complaining. Two years in juvie? Could be much, much worse."

"There are those that think you should go to prison for life," the reporter said eagerly. "What do you say to them?"

"Maybe I should." I looked at the camera. "But I'm glad I don't have to. I want to make a difference—talk to other families who have been affected by Supers. Help them see that it could have been anything that killed that family member—a car accident, the flu, a hit on the head falling from their porch. It just happened to be a Super."

I shrugged. "And I'm okay with the fact that it happened to be a Super for my mother." I smiled. "Because I met some pretty cool people during the journey."

"Ah, your friends Anna and... Chase, correct?" The reporter looked proud of himself for remembering. "They only got a year in the juvenile facility each."

"Yeah. And Zenna--" I spat the name, "got two years of juvie AND a year in jail because of her aid in attempted and successful murder of superheroes. No more than what she deserves."

I felt like I was missing one of the Unfortunates. "And..."

Then I remembered and trailed off.

The reporter looked down in an effort to show his sadness and used it as an opportunity to swipe some sweat off his forehead out of the camera's view. "Your friend who lost his life. Such a tragedy, such a tragedy."

My mouth formed several different words before I settled on saying, "Yes. Tragedy." Then I added, not really sure why, "His name was Mason."

The reporter gave an awkward nod. "Nice name."

I pushed down the lump in my throat from remembering when I'd said those exact words to Mason, when I'd just met him for the first time.

The reporter changed the subject with a quick grin at the cameraman, who was giving him a what's-going-on look. "Okay... moving on. Oh yes, you were asked to be a Super after release from the youth center at age eighteen by the famous hero Aviance!" The reporter leaned in closer and a drop of sweat fell onto my plaid shirt. "We are all dying to know what you said."

I composed myself and took a deep breath. "I said no," I said simply. "I lost my powers that day two months ago just like Aviance did, and although she thinks I could still be an asset to protecting New Conlan with training, I don't think that's the life for me."

"Well, if you're not going to be a Super, will you follow in your mother's footsteps and continue her research on wiping away powers from heroes?"

I shook my head adamantly. "No. That blue orb that robbed almost a quarter of the world's crime-fighting Supers of their powers is somewhere far away and safe now, and I'm glad. I don't think that anyone else needs to feel its effects ever again." I shrugged thoughtfully. "But perhaps someday I'll do some research on the opposite—how to return someone's powers to them. I have a debt to a certain Super who lost her powers because of me."

I smiled. "And I wouldn't be opposed to getting back my lightning. Just in case."

The reporter cracked a wide, fake smile. He forced another laugh. I really hadn't meant it as a joke. "What do you think about these new proposed laws?"

"They're good. They're a start. But there's still a long way to go if we want to avoid any more Super deaths."

"I thought you just said Super deaths were just like any other death."

I rolled my eyes. "That doesn't mean they're not preventable. If the government could sign a law and prevent over 50% of car accidents—which, by the way, is the percentage projected accidental Super deaths could drop—they would do it." I smiled a little. "Why shouldn't they do this?"

The reporter looked a little uneasy, perhaps thinking I actually expected an answer of him. "Hey, I'm the one asking the questions!" he joked awkwardly.

"I'm just giving you answers."

He blinked and plastered a smile back on his face. "Well, it's been lovely, Miss Leah. Thank you for taking the time."

"Thank you for getting me out of juvie for a couple hours."

He didn't even bother to pretend to laugh on that one.