Chapter Four

"They're all late," Anna grumbled, pacing nervously in a circle.

We had decided to hold the meeting of our like-minded teens in Anna's backyard. She had a shed that she'd been renovating as a place to hang out, but this was the first time it was getting much use. The ceiling was high and tilted, and light streamed in from windows above. An old space heater puffed in the corner, not accomplishing much.

Three faded blue beanbags had been placed in the corners of the room, and a couple folding chairs. "I get a beanbag, right?" I asked with a grin as I sunk into one. "For being on time."

Anna checked her watch as she continued to pace, her sneakered feet thumping on the rotting wood floor. "It's 3:02. They're all late."

"Better late than never, that's what I say."

The door to the shed burst open.

A boy sauntered in, bringing a puff of cold air with him. He slammed the door behind himself and I looked at him for a moment.

He was cute. Dark brown hair peeked out from under a red cap on his head. His cheeks were rosy and freckled, and the rest of his frame was hidden under a large orange winter coat and sweatpants. He looked at us and smiled. "Hi."

"Welcome!" Anna said brightly, immediately stopping pacing. "Please find a seat."

"Thank you." His voice was smooth and relaxed. He blinked, and gestured to the beanbag next to mine. "Is this seat taken?"

"All yours," I said with a smile.

He sunk down into it and peeled off his jacket. Anna watched him, but kept one eye on the door. She began pacing again.

"How's it going?" I asked, then immediately wondered if I could have possibly picked a more boring question.

"It's good," he said. "What's your name, may I ask?"

Names. How could I forget names? "I'm Leah. How about you?"

"Cool name!" he said. The rosiness on his cheeks was fading. "I'm Mason. It's kinda old-fashioned, but it's a family name." He smiled, almost sheepishly.

"I think it's a nice name." I gestured to Anna. "And this is Anna."

"I'm not mute, you know," Anna said with a smirk. "I could have introduced myself." She stopped pacing again for a moment and brushed a black strand of hair out of her face. "All these people are late!"

"How many are coming, again?" I asked.

"Three. Including this guy," she said, gesturing at Mason. "If they all show up."

Mason chuckled. "This guy. I like my new label."

"Don't mind her," I said with a slight groan. "She's just nervous. She gets a little crazy when she's nervous."

"No, I don't!"

The door slowly creaked open again.

A large boy slowly ducked under the doorframe and straightened up inside, closing the door after him. His skin was the color of rich chocolate, his hair short and curly. He was so tall—he must have been at least 6'4.

He smiled, a little uncertainly. "Hello?"

"Welcome!" Anna said. She gestured to a folding chair. "Take a seat."

The boy eyed the open beanbag Anna was saving for herself but dutifully sat down in the cold folding chair.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Chase," he said quietly. "Anna knows me from the track team. How about you guys?"

"I'm Leah."

"Mason." He grinned.