Chapter 196 - Volutia

Their ascent was just as abrupt as it was rapid.

The circular pad beneath their feet rose with only a brief warning, shooting up through the Spire at an alarming pace. The noblewomen all clung onto their knights, stumbling as a result of the upward acceleration. The only one who had managed to stay relatively stable amongst them was Viviane, but even she had to rely on Medrauta's strength.

"H-Hold on tight, Vivi!" Medrauta said.

"Y-You don't have to tell me twice!" Viviane cried, clinging on tightly to Medrauta's waist. The silver-haired knight had stabbed her sword into the pad, allowing her to better stabilize herself and her lady.

"We're almost at the top!" Eris shouted. While the other knights were preoccupied with their ladies, the blonde-haired knight kept her gaze focused on the rapidly approaching ceiling above them, knowing that Scarlet would be just fine after latching onto her waist.

Heeding Eris' words, the knights all braced themselves, anticipating a stop just as sudden as the pad's rise. Fortunately for them, the pad actually stopped gently this time, likely due to the fact that such a sudden stop would no doubt throw any passengers directly upward should they not be holding onto something attached to the pad itself.

Once the pad ceased all movement, Medrauta and the other knights removed their weapons from its surface and began looking around their surroundings. Unlike the floors they had passed by, the pad was completely encircled by walls, a sole opening acting as a foreboding passageway for the group of eight.

"...Only one way to go." Medrauta said.

The other knights nodded in response, leading the way as they proceeded through the sole entryway. The walls were the same pitch-black as the rest of the structure, but for some reason, it seemed to be a little brighter than before. There was no visible source of illumination, and the vein-like extensions on the walls were now gone, leaving the light a mystery.

However, the brighter atmosphere did nothing to dispel the ominous feeling that radiated through the air. It was a heavy sort of sensation that the knights were familiar with, much like the pressure that a powerful warrior would exude. However, unlike bloodlust or battle pressure, this particular feeling had a rather sinister weight to it.

Filling themselves with resolve, the knights steeled themselves as they continued through the passageway, a long and brightly lit hallway that revealed the almost imperceptibly writhing surface of the Spire's walls. Silently, they advanced with their ladies close at hand, a few of them even joining hands in an attempt to share their courage.

At the end of the passageway was a set of stairs that led upwards into what seemed like a large and empty platform with enormous floor-to-ceiling windows that allowed the morning sun to shine brightly into its interior. One by one, the knights proceeded cautiously up the stairway, not knowing what would await them above.

"Careful," Rosette warned. She was the first to finish ascending the staircase, Estelle close behind her. With her sword drawn and at the ready, she cast her gaze around, searching for any signs of witchspawn or other threats. Much to her surprise, the floor was entirely empty.

As the rest of the knights and noblewomen fanned out behind Rosette, they began to grow increasingly suspicious of the vast room's utter emptiness. It simply didn't look right. Just across from them was yet another staircase, but it felt as though this hollow space should have been filled. Despite its sinister nature, there was a somewhat cozy feeling to it that reminded them of someone's home. There should have been furniture, but instead, there was nothing.

Nothing but air and the feeling of... victory?

"Get down!" Medrauta shouted. The silver-haired knight didn't spend a second longer on her feet. The moment those words left her lips, she dove to the floor, wrapping her arms around Viviane and pulling her lady down as well.