Chapter 43 - An Unexpected Visitor

"Um... Should we link arms?"

"...If that's what you want," Medrauta answered monotonously.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH! WHY DID I EVEN RUN AWAY LIKE THAT!? Viviane wore a noble's smile on her face even as she screamed internally. She wanted to go back in time and fix that excruciating mistake, but it was already too late for regrets.

It had been like this ever since she'd returned to the training hall with the dresses she picked out for the two of them, but now that they were actually about to enter the gala, it only grew worse

Medrauta wore a dark red dress that hugged her athletic curves beautifully, its off-shoulder top revealing the hard-earned definition of her chiseled shoulders and her muscular upper back. Its rich color complemented her silver hair perfectly, and honestly, Viviane couldn't take her eyes off her knight.

Even so, Medrauta hadn't even glanced at her once.

Despite Viviane's careful attention to her appearance tonight, the only person's gaze she wanted was now lost to her.

Viviane strode into the ballroom awkwardly, her arm linked with Medrauta's who had clearly done so out of obligation instead of emotion. She wore a beautiful white gown studded with countless small sapphires that caught the light as the fabric shifted with every step that she took. While her shimmering form certainly turned heads, Viviane couldn't help thinking that it was nothing more than a waste.

Worse yet, she only had herself to blame.

"You said you wanted to dance with me, yes?" Medrauta asked abruptly as they stepped into the ballroom. "Let's get it over with then, my lady."

"N-No, that's not what I..."

"No? You don't want to dance? Then I shall excuse myself. Have a good night, my lady."

At that, Viviane's eyes moistened, their glistening surface a prelude to inevitable tears. Medrauta avoided looking at her, fearing that she might be forced to tear down her facade of impassivity if she had so much as risked a glance.

Medrauta was well aware of the fact that she was sulking, and in an especially immature and hurtful way too. There was so much she wanted to say, so much she wanted to do. But she couldn't, and it left her so unbearably upset and frustrated. In the end, this was the only way she could express her displeasure.

"S-Sorry..."

"Sorry? For what?" Medrauta asked coldly. "There is nothing to apologize for, my lady. Your foolish knight simply assumed her idiotic dreams would become reality. Forgive me. It won't happen again."

It won't happen again...? Viviane stared up at Medrauta, unable to believe what she was hearing. Her whole body trembled with the effort of holding back her tears. It simply wouldn't do to cry in front of all these people, especially when their conversation was slowly drawing the attention of those around them.

The gala was a crowded affair with an enormous amount of refreshments and snacks all placed on various lengthy tables in the venue. Naturally, people congregated around those areas and it just so happened that the entrance Viviane and Medrauta had come through was located right next to one.

Did I go too far? Medrauta bit her lip. As much as she wanted to continue putting up this stony exterior, she knew she couldn't continue for long. Just seeing Viviane in her peripheral vision made her want to sweep the noblewoman into a tight embrace already.

"Medrauta, I never intended to upset you..."

Medrauta didn't respond. She didn't trust herself to. After all, her heart was already wavering, and hearing Viviane's sweet voice was already dangerous enough.