Chapter 59 - Calm Before the Storm

It was time for the festivities to come to an end.

After a very successful first day for the academy's festival, the rest of the week enjoyed a rather healthy amount of attendees as well. The group's tea house never decreased in popularity, and despite it being the last day of the festival, a long line of people had assembled in front of the booth ever since it opened and the line continued to grow even now.

However, Medrauta and Viviane never truly got to experience the true horrors of attempting to serve guests in a fashion that was not only refined and thorough, but also fast and expedient.

The reason for that was rather simple: Gwenhwyfar had used her ability to "negotiate" with knights and nobles of nearby booths alike, convincing them to fill in for the pair while they spent time together at the festival on dates and whatnot.

While the couple certainly appreciated the time together, Viviane couldn't help but feel that something was up. The princess had once been her opponent in love, and it was difficult to believe that someone could give up so easily, and in such a grand manner as well.

"Your Imperial Highness," Viviane called to the princess after having successfully sought her out. "There's something important I must talk to you about."

"H-Huh!?" Gwenhwyfar turned, surprised at Viviane's presence. She'd informed the blonde noblewoman that her shift on the last day would be covered by someone else. "Shouldn't you be on a date with Medrauta?"

Viviane shook her head. "We've been on quite a lot of dates this week thanks to you, Your Imperial Highness. Right now, she's helping out in the tea house. I'll be joining her shortly as well."

"Y-You really don't need to, Lady Viviane!"

"No, I do. It's not fair to Lady Rosaline and Dame Leticia who were only given time off during Dame Leticia's events at the tourney. It's not fair to Lady Sakura who spent time teaching me her country's etiquette or Sir Riku who taught me the brewing technique either. Medrauta feels the same, and we've only been taking up your offers because you've been insisting rather strongly and it would've been rude for us to turn you down in public, but with all due respect, this must stop, Your Imperial Highness."

"...I see. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced the two of you."

Viviane crossed her arms. Gwenhwyfar was the princess, which meant there was a certain amount of respect and deference that she commanded, but at the moment, the two of them were alone, and Viviane was fed up. "Your Imperial Highness, we spent an hour arguing about this yesterday until we were forced to leave after guests began lining up. Just why are you so insistent on having Medrauta and I go on dates instead of working at the tea house!?"

"...Because I don't wish to see the two of you flirt before me, Lady Viviane. But more than anything, I wish for Medrauta to be happy, even if it is not I who she smiles for."

For a second, Viviane was stunned. That was the last thing she'd expected the princess to say.

"Well, I... I'm grateful for your consideration, Your Imperial Highness. Was that why you've been treating me so kindly lately?"

At that, the princess shook her head. "No. Not entirely, at least. After witnessing my brother's actions, I've only now come to realize my own folly. Yes, Medrauta was precious to me. She was the one who saved my life when I was but a child, and though I seem to be the only one who remembers our promise, I held it dear to my heart for many years. Even now, I cannot fathom myself falling in love with anyone else, however twisted my love is.

"But it is because she is precious to me, and because I love her so that I should never have done what I did, Lady Viviane. I hurt her. I hurt her very much, and a rift of my own devising has formed between us. While that rift might one day be bridged, it shall never be whole again because of my own foolish actions. That is why from now and onwards, I must do all I can to ensure her happiness, and if that means also supporting you—my own rival—then so be it."