17

ᴍɪɢɪ ᴠᴀʀɢᴀs

October 2010

The newly purchased penthouse was my sanctuary now. It was a secured avenue, but also accommodated Jace. And lately, he's been like a child of my own. In the year, we've grown from cousins to each other's right hand with business. Our grandmother would kill me for getting him involved in this street shit, but the decision was Jay's. Plus? I couldn't leave my little cousin to fend for himself in the streets.

He'll end up dead at only eighteen. Especially without the proper guidance — something I learned quickly. Already surviving three shootouts to date. 

"Aye, J?!" The VPN connection finally stabilized. This allowed me to tap into the file compiled from my dark web searches. Everything was already backed up, but the VPN kept the activity untraceable.

"What's up? Screaming my damn name."

"Shut up and look at this." I needed a second opinion, but only for my confidence's sake. Deep down, I knew the profile belonged to her.

"How the fuck you found all this?" He inquired, after about three minutes of scrolling indecisively on the pages.

"Magic nigga," I picked up the laptop, making my way to the couch a few feet away. "Nosy ass. I said look at it, not read 'bout my girl, damn."

"So what she looks like now? You ain't get no pictures?" Jace asked, going to the fridge while I sat back.

My infatuation had skyrocketed in recent weeks. Sehven Piper crossed my mind randomly one night in the club. I had been in a decent mood for the night, but after that I ended up at the penthouse alone and my intrusive thoughts got the best of me. With a few clicks, I found out a few things. Most important of them all? She was still in Houston.

I told myself years ago to let this stupid crush die. But that was actually a stupid idea itself. Everybody around me knows I can't let up on Sehven.

It's been a long time though and Jace had made an unintentional point just then — I didn't even know what this girl looked like now.

Jay cleared his throat when I hadn't responded to his question. Her file was simple, sweet, and short. Not too many details of any certain.

As if she had been protected from the dark web.

Or it wasn't meant for me to know.

Knowing me, I'll start watching her every move — the second I get some decent information.

"Nope."

"Well, you do know this is certified crazy nigga shit right? Like ain't no coming back from this shit, Migi," He said jokingly, but we both knew he was serious.

Not that I gave a damn.

"Nah, I'm just planning my play."

That honest thought made me close out of the file, turning off the VPN while doing so. I had a play to make anyway, so this will have to wait until later tonight.

It was saved to a disposable hard drive, but more importantly, it was engraved in my memory.

There were accomplishments like her high school diploma available. Plus her first semester's grades as a Pre-Med undergraduate at Texas Southern University. For some reason, a sense of pride came from those sights. Even if, I didn't know how I'll compete with it.