Chapter 33

Domo's POV

I miss Eustace.

With her being the supposed 'weakest' of the group, I always felt superior to someone.

But now I'm at the bottom of the food chain, worst on the leaderboard.

Maybe I'm sick in the head but hierarchy is the only natural thing to me. The food chain, the economy, the government.

It seems like the most natural thing in the world, but I know my way of thinking would sound sick to some, some being King.

She detests chain of power, she believes we are all great in our way and that there shouldn't be a hierarchy just a council of people with different capabilities sitting and having a discussion, creating a society that benefits everyone.

Sounds good but only in theory.

Click!

Amo's fingers snapped in front of my face, bringing me out of head as we sat on the edge of the boat, ready to plunge into the freezing black water below.

"Are you alright?" he asked, giving one of my shoulders a reassuring squeeze, I nodded and shuffled closer to the edge.

"King and Tyro have already jumped in, we need to follow soon" he voiced shuffling to the edge as I was, he held my hand and used his other to put on his oxygen mask.

He offered me another questioning stare, making sure I was up for this mission.

One I may not return from, but I trusted my teammates and would follow them blindly.

I blinked and the next thing I knew, the ocean was rushing towards me. The inky blackness ready to envelope me in its icy embrace and never let me go.

My feet smacked against the water, and I felt as if I was being sucked into its perpetual depth. Amo's hand still in mine was the only thing preventing me from losing my mind.

I couldn't even see a metre in front of me, we were navigating with instinct towards the island. I kicked ferociously, impatient to leave the icy water and once again meet up with Eustace and Dax to make sure they were safe.

When I broke the water's surface, I saw King and Tyro looking down at me, their intimidating stare and tall physique reminded me just how dangerous the 2 of them were. Especially together.

Amo soon crawled out the water and discarded his wet suit just like I and the rest had.

We stuffed them into our backpacks before running along the beach, swiftly before the change over of the guards was complete. "Ok how are we getting in again?" I whispered whilst using the cover of the night and some shadows to conceal my presence from the guards on the watch tower that were almost complete with their changeover.

"Follow my lead" King replies, power and control dripping from her lips as a natural leader. I instinctively follow her without another question. We crawl into a supply room, suffocated by the smell of bleach, through an open window and the weight of our situation finally weighed heavy on our shoulders.

It's always the open windows. Gosh! If they didn't want us breaking in, they should've kept them closed. It's not even hot outside.

"We can't track Dax and Stace in this building because there is a very strong interference" Amo says, looking down at the tracker he had made back in the hostel. "Maybe they are underground, or in a heavily padded room" Tyro suggested, his brain working a million miles per hour.

How does anyone keep up?

"Or they could be somewhere very well lit" King mumbles.

Somehow King keeps up with him.

"How would lighting cause interference?" I ask, suddenly curious about the track her train of thoughts were on.

"Well LED and fluorescent light are known to cause electrical interference. Before we came in here did you guys notice a very bright light coming from the very top of this place, almost as if it was posing as a light house. And all the lights keep flickering in this room meaning that a lot of the power could be directed elsewhere." She explained, whilst pacing around the room looking for something.

"Tyro." She voiced whilst picking up something that looked like a screwdriver. He rolled his eyes and bent down onto one knee.

What are they doing?

As if they communicated telepathically, King stood on one of his legs and disconnected the plastic pane that covered the light bulb on the ceiling with the metal in her hand.

She unscrewed the bulb and squinted to read the words on the bottom of it.

"I am right, this is an LED light meaning that, most likely, all the other lights in the facility are. People mass buy lightbulbs they don't just buy one for each room" she articulated all whilst jumping down from Tyro's knees and helping him up to stand. Also brushing off his leg.

How sweet.

"So, you are suggesting they are at the top of this building? How are we supposed to get there?" Amo quizzed, whilst taking the screwdriver in King's hand and shoving it in his backpack.

"Carefully" Tyro murmured, as if obvious whilst peering outside the room through the slightly ajar door.

"Very carefully" I echoed, both unsure of this plan and filled with adrenaline to complete it.

Outside the supply room was a dark hallway, this door seemed to be the only one for a while so it would be hard to hide if someone approached us.

"Everyone have your weapons on hand" King commanded whilst sauntering outside. She turned left to walk down the hallway but was stopped by Tyro. "We should head right. Staircases are usually near the middle of big buildings so that's where it would likely be" he suggested, she nodded and followed him swiftly.

We sauntered through the hallway, constantly checking over our shoulders. The perpetual path was as dark as the inky black sky outside. We manoeuvred on senses alone, yet King acted as though she could see clear as day.

She was something else.

We finally met a door that stood at the end of the hallway. King insisted Tyro be the one to open it whilst she stood ready with her weapon in hand.

It was a staircase.

A massive spiral staircase that seemed to stretch on so far, we couldn't see the end of it.

"We better get started, and maybe we will reach the top by morning" Amo mumbled, before placing a small device at the bottom. He took out a small tablet and analysed the data showing on the screen.

"As I thought, it's a long climb to the top. This device sent out a signal and trust me when I say you don't want to know how tall this place is" He took the first step before sighing and trudging up the rest.

"My butts going to look so good after this" he mumbled, begrudgingly taking two steps at a time as if it would make our journey any quicker.

[A/N: sorry for the shorter chapter]