Chapter 24

Domo's POV

We are back to the house.

It's like a checkpoint in a game. Every time we get here, we feel safe and then a new level begins. A harder one, with more death-defying challenges than the last. And then we make it back, to do it all again.

Blake put together a plan with his board based on the information we had given him. We were the only people ever to come back from that place unscathed and we all wanted to know why.

There were cameras everywhere, they saw us infiltrate and they saw us leave.

There must be something bigger.

Do they want us alive for something? Or are we simply a messenger, to pass on the horrors that we saw? Or maybe we are lucky?

I doubt it's the latter.

Blake was uneasy about us coming back unscathed too, which says a lot about him and the reason he sent us there. He decided that we needed to be ready for anything. And that very soon we would be going back.

Bes left as soon as we reached the port and told us to contact him if we ever needed help again. I don't know where he went but he seemed happy to go there. I wonder if he found himself a good home.

We had to undergo a sort of training regimen. It was gruelling hard work for a fortnight, we would be assessed every 5 days so that we could work on our weaknesses.

We all sat in the living room as Blake talked to us for ages. I zoned out most of the time and played with Amo's long dark hair. So smooth.

"Tomorrow all of you will have to undergo a test. It's similar to the one you did before but of course, Tyro and King weren't there for that one. There will be 6 elements: agility, balance, speed, strength, coordination and mental aptitude. A car will pick you up tomorrow at 6 am and take you to the centre. Have a nice night" Blake had said, then promptly left. As soon as we heard the door shut we all let out a loud sigh. "Not even a day of peace" Amo grumbled beside me. I nodded in agreement.

"Alright everyone, no need to look so downtrodden, I will cook us up something nice and then we will get a good night's rest" Amo voiced loudly, springing to his feet with his sudden optimism. "Thanks, mummy" King replied sarcastically and lay her head on Tyro's lap and her feet on my lap, occupying the space where Amo once sat.

He rolled his eyes but went to the kitchen anyway. "I'll go help him" I muttered and left the room to go to the kitchen.

Amo was dancing to the music in his head as I watched him from afar. What a funny boy.

I wrapped my arms around him suddenly and he jumped a bit before realising It was me. "Don't scare me like that, idiot" he mumbled and continued cutting up the garlic. "Wow, I came to help and you are calling me an idiot" I retorted, feigning offence. He rolled his eyes and then kissed my cheek "Thank you for offering your services, can you please help me cut the onions?" he asked sweetly, bending down to my height so he was face-to-face with me. "Well since you are begging..." I replied with a smirk and picked up a knife and started chopping the onions on a board.

We finished cooking and removed the food from the oven. It smelt amazing; my mouth watered a little. "Come eat, children" I yelled out. I heard the patter of footsteps approaching the dining table, where Amo had laid out the food. "Thanks, mum and dad" Dax voiced before sitting down with Eustace giggling next to him. "Wait, you don't think King and Tyro would be the mum and dad?" Amo asked Dax, who shook his head ferociously. "Why not?" Tyro's deep voice came from behind us.

To be honest, I peed a little in fear.

Dax's eyes were as wide as saucers as he tripped over his words. King hit Tyro's shoulder, "ignore him, we all know that Domo and Amo would be the mum and dad," she said, relieving Dax of his struggles. He let out a sigh of relief and dug into the food as King and Tyro sat down.