i. run-in with the law

Nestled within the heart of Fawcett City, a vibrant and bustling town teeming with lively energy, the local residents exuded a warmth and hospitality that created an unmistakable sense of camaraderie, forming the very fabric of a tight-knit community. The streets echoed with laughter, and the air buzzed with the amiable chatter of friendly folks who made every corner of Fawcett City feel like a welcoming haven. However, Lucia Valenti and Billy Batson didn't quite fit into that friendly crowd.

Hearing the piercing ring of a pawn shop alarm harmonizing with the wail of the white and blue police car's siren, the two teens found themselves wide-eyed. The younger teen flashed a confident smile and approached the patrol vehicle, addressing the emerging officers.

"Holy moly! The boys in blue!" Billy exclaimed, the male and female officers stepping out and circling the car, "We're sure glad to see you..."

"We called as soon as we saw it happen—" Lucia, appearing more dishevelled than Billy, interjected from behind him as Billy's arm gestured toward the shop, "They're in there." The teens moved in ideal unison, their actions eerily synchronized.

"You stay here."  the man commanded, guiding him and his partner into the store, Lucia and Billy following with a confident sway in their steps. "Police!" The officer announced but received no response.

"I saw 'em hide back in there," Billy informed, gesturing towards the backroom. The two officers exchanged glances before obliging to Billy and Lucia's direction.

Leading the way, the female officer approached the door, her hand hovering on her gun, "Police, coming in!" She declared, reaching for the handle, "Police!". Upon opening the door, she scanned the room, unaware of the clinking sounds Lucia made while starting to lower the metal roller shutter.

"You really bought that, huh?" Billy remarked flatly, slamming the door shut.

"Hey, no, no, no! Hey!"

Lucia jumped, firmly gripping the shutter. With a mischievous smirk, she forcefully pulled it down while still landing from her jump.

"Stop, stop, stop!"