ii. one too many

The following day, Lucia found stability at 'Hosea's Hotspot' to escape the complexities of her recent happenings. Nestled on a busy city street, the quaint café had become a palliative refuge for her, she earned herself the title of assistant manager due to how many hours she'd work a day since she didn't have college work to focus on. Lucia maintained her connection with the Andersons through work; ironically, Mia had also secured a job at the café, creating opportunities for the family to visit. Whether it was the children dropping by after school or everyone gathering on evenings like these, the café became a shared space.

Positioned behind the counter, Lucia pushed a cup across to a departing customer, offering a thin-lipped smile. "Enjoy your night, sir," she politely acknowledged. The café had an extensive working hour, opening early and closing between eleven and twelve, depending on staff availability. The clock had only just struck eleven on the dot, during her break, Mia joined her family at a long table and let Lucia man the counter.

Carrying a tray loaded with primarily hot chocolates, along with one water and one tea, Lucia approached the gathering. "Here are your drinks, guys," Lucia announced, reaching over Sarah's shoulder to place the tea in front of her.

"Thank you, Lucia," Sarah expressed her gratitude with a smile.

Moving around the table, Lucia distributed hot chocolates to each child before delivering David's water. Despite the strained relationship with David and the unspoken tension around Lucia's departure from the household, she avoided delving into the reasons, allowing the children to believe it was related to work and college commitments. The uneasy dynamic with David, however, lingered.

"The exquisite warmth emanating from this elixir graciously envelops my inner core, offering a comforting embrace. Liam acknowledged the sentiment, his glass chiming in harmony with Lila's. Undoubtedly, Lucia remained slightly unsettled by the fifteen-year-old twins.

"Thank you, Lucia!" Emily beamed, her curls now cascading gracefully down to her shoulders, lending an air of maturity to her thirteen-year-old self. As Lucia finalized the drink placements, she paused briefly, assessing the ambience at the table.