"I stretch my hand to reach you" | Close

Bang Christopher Chan

Chan couldn't much hear the raindrops pounding on their living room wall, but they were there all the same. If it weren't frigid outside, he'd probably walk around, basking in the scent of the rain. Instead, he was rummaging around boxes they had not unpacked yet for his old umbrella.

"Jisung-ah?" He looked towards the boy, hunched over one of his many journals. He couldn't have been comfortable the way he was, sitting on the floor with his knees tucked under him, no barrier between his skin and the wooden floors. Back against the wall, tongue between his teeth. He preferred that spot in the corner anyway.

"Hmm?" He made no other movement, just enough of a sound to let Chan know he was paying attention. Chan tried not to sigh at the lack of progress they had made with him. Changbin was convinced that pushing Jisung was the answer, but they were both afraid he'd turn into himself even further.

"Do you need anything from the store while I'm there?" Chan asked while opening a new box and—ah. The velcro on his umbrella was almost worn completely down. It was a purchase his mother had made for him years ago, and he was lucky she had. It was an ugly thing, with faded characters of a cartoon he had never seen. Still, he didn't have it in him to replace it.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jisung shake his head. His bangs were nearly in his eyes at this point, but they'd be cut and colored soon enough. He grabbed his bright red headphones and clumsily placed them on his ears, ending the conversation before they could even really have one.

Okay. Okay.

With that, Chan slipped his shoes on and quietly let the door shut behind him. At least, being in his head, Jisung could really get some work done.

Chan was shivering by the time he reached the sidewalk, goosebumps littering his arms under his hoodie. It was murky outside. Bleak in the day. It was often, he thought that nothing was worse than too much. He thought that about life. He thought that about the weather.

It was a bit too much now. Cold, raining, foggy. Even the smell of the rain wasn't pleasant the way it usually was. But he had been itching to move, itching to do anything, which is why he volunteered when Changbin said they were out of protein powder.

The supermarket was closer to their new dorm than it had been to the company dorms, another upside to moving out. He closed his umbrella as the automatic doors opened, an odd feeling washing over him as he stepped into the building. How strange it was to walk under the artificial lights, in a controlled temperature after a bleak, frigid walk.

Chan went straight to the area with the shopping carts, just like he always did, when he felt a light tap on the shoulder. When he turned, it was a younger boy. His long, narrow eyes were the first thing he noticed. The blinding smile was second.