Chapter 1:Birthday

"Nicole, your friends are here!" my mother shouted from the top of her lungs as she was making her way out of the house

"I'm coming!" I replied. Why were mothers always so irritating? I thought as I applied my make-up and, straitening my hair down with my hand, I sighed heavily switching my mind to something else. No matter how I tried, I couldn't escape my four best friends' devious plans for my birthday. I quickly took one glance at the mirror, making sure my light brown lipstick was intact and my eyeliner not smudged. All was good. Then, I made my way down to greet my friends. "Happy Birthday!!!" they all chorused as I came down the stairs, each and one of them eying me up and down in my new strapless gold dress. "Hey, eyes back in!" I chuckled then we all burst into giggles. "

Wow, Nicole, you look amazing!" said my best friend Natasha as she greeted me with a tight hug. I was grateful to have such amazing friends, especially these three, who I can trust no matter what. "C'mon, let's not stand around here all day! We have a smashing party to get to" my friend Nadine announced. No sooner than that a horn beeped outside. There stood the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me, my boyfriend Nathan. He was outside waiting beside  his new Ferrari. Staring right in my feline green eyes and then he spoke, his strong Australian accent sending shivers up my spine "Hey gorgeous, you look stunning" as he came closer and gave me a peck on the cheek.

I knew that behind me my friends were grinning their faces off as I stepped in and sat on the soft cream leather seats, but I would have to deal with them later. We drove along in the car for several of minutes. When it stopped to a halt I was instantly captivated by the location my mates have selected, then I started doing my usual "thank you, thank you" routine going around, hugging each one of my friends, and giving Nathan a quick peck on the lips. It suddenly draw to me that Nadia looked quite solemn, and I knew something was up. She didn't seem to join in the girly chats as much as she used to, and she would look quite spooked out every time I looked at her.

I was kind of worried, maybe even a bit hurt to see one of my friends looking like this, but I decided to keep all the brooding thoughts away and enjoy the party. After all... it was my birthday.