Shift

>>Clio

Time seemed like it was standing still and I couldn't take my eyes off him.

I was waiting, full of anticipation.

"You look amazing," The words smoothly flowed out his mouth. His genuine admiration, free from any teasing or mockery, was enough to make me blush. His eyes revealed a complexity of emotions that left me both flustered and strangely pleased.

As his gaze remained fixed on me, I couldn't shake the feeling that this unexpected makeover had unveiled a new layer

"T-thank you,"

Azef smiled at us, then immediately took off, "I'll see what they're planning," And he crossed me to leave the room, "You two enjoy your time."

His statement actually snapped me back to reality. I glanced at Azed leaving, then looked back at Matthew, "What's this all about?" I asked, "About the Somas?"

Matthew's eyes were still stuck on me, "Nothing, they just have this thing to get even about everything." I was trying not to focus on it but his gaze refused to leave me alone.

"Get even with what?" I asked

"Anything. According to Zhou-Lin, Silas is angry that he was lied to, and he won't let that pass."

"What do they want?" I was standing near him now and he was standing in front of his desk

"I doubt he'd still want to take you. It's probably to kill you,"

"So... What now?"

"If that's really how it is," Matthew looked at me with a firm gaze, "Then we'll kill them first." He slipped his hands around my waist, "You look so beautiful, I can't tear my gaze away."

My heart did a wild flip at his words.

"So you're saying you'll do anything to keep me safe?" My heart was fluttering like crazy

"You are mine, and I'll do anything to keep you," He answered.

"Even kill people for me?"

He paused for a second, then smirked , "I've already proved that part." His eyes glinted, "And I'll do it again."

!!!

My heart took on a life of its own, pounding in my chest like a drum in a rhythm only he could hear. I don't think I should feel this way. He said he'd kill for me and it's not something to be happy about but his words got me excited.

I found myself momentarily lost in the intensity of his gaze

I can't believe this but It gave me butterflies and I really liked it. I really have lost my mind and I've fallen deeply in love.

"About the Somas," I gulped, looking away, "Zhou-Lin told you that?"

"Yes,"

"Is he reliable?"

He smirked, "He may not seem like it, but he is,"

"More than the director?"

"More than Azef?" He shook his head, "No,"

"Azef and I... it's different because we're siblings. And we did something for each other when we were young. Zhou-Lin and Xia-Lin, just happened to be there when we did that and they helped cover the things for us." He took a deep breath, "Plus they both were the ones who found me when I needed shelter."

Did something for each other when they were young?

A point clicked in my mind

"You mentioned your first kill was for someone important."