Lunatic

ACT ONE-PART EIGHT

"Dad, if you're going to insist on driving me to school, you at least have to let me out of the car." Allison stated, leaning up onto the arm rest, looking at her dad.

Chris sighed, looking back at his daughter. "Your brother is staying home, why can't you?"

Ashton rolled his eyes. "You just had to go there."

Allison sighed, crossing her arms as she sat annoyed. "That's because Ashton isn't doing good."

"Hey!" Ashton interrupted, hitting his sister's shoulder. "I'm fine."

"You almost passed out this morning." Allison reminded, looking back at her brother. "You are not fine."

Ashton rolled his eyes, leaning his head against the window. Letting Allison try and convince their father to stop being over protective.

Chris sighed, turning and looking at the school. His eyes roaming over the broken windows, the many deputies that showered the yard. "Kate, what's your opinion on homeschooling?"

Kate shook her head, resting her elbow on the side of the door. "Well, you know, I'm more of a learning by doing kind of girl."

Allison leaned forward, quite literally getting in the middle of their conversation. "What's your opinion on overprotective dads who keep ruining their daughter's lives?"

Kate paused, looking back at Allison before letting out a breath. She looked at Chris, leaning over and-

Click.

Kate chuckled after she unlocked the door, leaning back in her seat just as Allison grabbed her bag.

"Thank you." Allison stated to her aunt, giving Ashton one more hug before getting out of the car.

"You're welcome." Kate called after her, waiting until she was nearly at the school doors before turning back around. "So, Chris-"

"Don't. Just-"Chris interrupted, holding up his hand to silence her. "Your look communicates it perfectly. Yes, I underestimated the danger. Yes, we should've acted sooner. Yes, I should've listened to you. Anything else? Or does that cover it?"

Ashton cleared his throat, scratching the back of his neck. "Maybe I should've went to school." He whispered.

Kate chuckled, glancing back at Ashton before looking back up towards the steering wheel, pointing behind it, right at the gas gage. "All I was going to say is you need to stop and get gas."

Chris scowled, shaking his head as he drove forward, waving to a deputy as he left. "And no, Ash, you shouldn't of went to school."

Ashton sighed, shaking his head. "It was a joke for one." He closed his eyes, leaning his head back.

Kate sighed, pulling out her phone and going through her texts. "He's right. You nearly passed out, that's-"

"Was a total lie." Ashton replied, rolling his eyes as Kate looked between him and his father.

"What?"

Chris let out a breath. "Ashton can't be around large groups on the full moon." He turned, seeing the confusion on Kate's face. "He has a thing. It's like a reboot. He gives all his magic back into the earth, letting it return to it's origin. Then, after a few hours, the earth gives it back to him."