CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

Act 3~Chapter 7: The Sauna Test

After Lucas, Mike and Avery had brought Will back inside, he had told them what he felt and what he saw. The four of them went to Mike's house, the designated meet up for the party, to call Max to get her over there.
"Do you copy?" Lucas shouted through the walkie talkie, with Max on the other end, "This is a code red," there was no reply, "I repeat, this is a code red. Max. Do you copy? This is a code red!"
Seconds later, Lucas sadly put the walkie talkie down.
"She turned it off," he told them.
Mike looked at the phone on the wall and walked over to it he lifted it out of the holder and went to dial Max's number when Avery went over to him.
"Maybe it will be better if I do it," she told the raven haired boy.
Mike looked at Lucas to see what he had to say and then said, "Yeah, okay."
Mike passed Avery the phone, their hands brushing against each others and they both blushed slightly. Avery turned to dial the number whilst Mike walked back over to the other two boys on the couch.
Avery waited a few seconds for Max to pick up when she eventually did.
"I'm sleeping! Go away!" Max told them, not knowing her best friend was on the other side of the call.
"Max! It's Ava, do not hang up," she said, "something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake."
"What are you talking about?" Max asked.
"Just come to Mike's. We'll explain everything," Avery explained.
"What?" Max questioned.
"Hurry," she replied, hanging up."
Avery turned back around to the three boys, wondering what to do whilst they wait for El and Max.
"Try Dustin again," Mike told Lucas who still was holding the walkie talkie.
"He's not answering," Lucas groaned in annoyance.
"So, try him again," Mike demanded.
Lucas reluctantly lifted the walkie talkie back to his mouth repeating, "Dustin, do you copy? I repeat, this is a code red."

■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻

After 30 minutes, El and Max had arrived. They sat with the others, listening to Will explain everything.
"I didn't think it was anything at first," Will began, "I mean I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead."
"Power went out that night, too," Mike pointed out.
"And then I felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm the next day," he continued, "Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers."
"What does it feel like?" Max asked.
"It's almost like..." he thought ,"You know when you drop on a roller coaster?"
"Sure."
"Yeah."
"Of Course."
"No."
"It's like... everything inside your body is just sinking all at one, but this is worse. Your body... it goes cold and you can't breathe," Will explained, "I've felt it before, whenever he was close."
"Whenever who was close?" Max questioned.
"The Mind Flayer," Avery said, picking up the pieces, her twin brother nodding at her.
"I closed the gate," El told them.
"I know, but... what if he never left? What if we locked him out here with us?" Will explained.

The six of them walked over to the table, Will slammed down a piece of paper and started drawing a scribbled circle on the page.
"This is him. All of him," Will said, "But, that day on the field, a part of him attached itself to me." This time he drew spider-like legs off of the circle and then wiped his hand over the picture, getting the chalk all over his hand, lifting his hand and showing the others, "My mom and Ava got it out of me... and Eleven closed the gate. But the part that was still in me, what if it's still in our world? In Hawkins." He turned the paper over and slapped his blackened hand on the paper, making a hand print.
"I don't understand. The Demodogs died when El closed the gate. If the brain dies, the body dies," Max told them.
"We can't take any chances. We need to assume the worst. The Mind Flayer's back." Mike said.
"Yeah. And if he is, he'd want to attach himself to someone again. A new me," Will mentioned.
"A new host."
"How can you tell if someone is a host?" El questioned.