Chapter Five

"She was either wildly naive, or dangerously intelligent."
¤

Etana

The assassin's hair was a fiery red, intricately braided and falling down her back.
She had fair skin-- another trademark of her kind-- and a graceful posture that radiated an ancient feel, surpassing even a high fey.
She was also taller than most fey females, as elves naturally were... though Etana- who'd always been tall for her kind- could already tell she was slightly taller.

"What is your name, assassin? And what message do you bring?" Her words were a careless drawl, even as her fingers dug into her palms, the sight shielded at her side and in her throne.

The assassin bowed her head, a shallow action that was not outright disrespectful, but carried an open message of where her loyalties truly lay. Showing that Etana, while Queen of the kingdom this assassin was in, was not her ruler. Etana sat up straighter, staring down the redhead even harder.

"Adira, your Ladyship," The assassin replied.

Etana sensed the whole room stiffen at the words, Apollo taking a step forward. But she simply held up her hand, a small smirk drawing onto her face.
"Maybe thing work differently where you're from, Adira, but here, in my kingdom of all places, you will address me as Your Majesty. Or, if you prefer, 'my Queen'. I have never been a lady, I'm afraid, so the title is unfitting and much below my station."

Her eyes narrowed as Adira looked up, those blades still around Elex's neck and her heart.
"My King does not recognize other rulers," Adira responded. "There is only need for one, and soon his vision shall spread beyond Malus."

Etana didn't move, even as she absorbed this information. So Adira served The King of Malus, the Onxy plain. A continent dark and corrupt, lying in the West, where only he ruled. It was that magic that had been poisoning her continent. His rule that had her preparing for war.

Adira being his... it confirmed Etana's suspicions of what this message was. The icy dread returned, stabbing into her stomach and piercing her chest.
"What is your message, Adira of Malus? And now that you've found your audience with me, is there any chance youd let my General go?" Etana saw Elex tried to speak, undoubtedly to tell her to leave him to his fate. She sent the General a look that told him to shut it.

"For the Gods' favour, the ancient laws must be obeyed," Adira voiced, tone not loud but echoing throughout the entire room as everyone realized what this was. Etana had known, she simply watched closer.
"A warning must be given and blood must be spilt. My warning, my message, and the start of war are all rolled into one. My task is simple."

Everything clicked right then, in that exact second. Etana realized what was about to happen. Exactly how they'd declare war.
She stood, fast as lightning, but she was too late.
Adira's blade moved faster, slicing across Elex's throat like a violin.

Etana watched as her oldest friend, her companion, her General, and her protector, dropped to the floor, blood painting the white marble.

Adira stood over him, his blood pooling at her feet.
"My message is death. We have taken the head of your army with only one assassin." Adira's words punctured the still air, Queen Etana standing, mask gone and eyes wide as she was frozen to the spot, looking at the man dead on the floor.
"Your war has officially begun."

Everything was frozen before her and Etana took a single step forward before she felt a hand on her arm. She didn't turn to Apollo, still staring down the murderer before her.

"You cannot kill her, Etana," He murmered lowly but fast. "The laws are sacred. Not even you can disobey them." His grip was hard but she heard the pain in his voice. Elex had trained Apollo himself.

She took one breath. "Release me." He did so, sensing her ability not to kill this Adira.

"I'm holding your guards," He told her. "You need to command them to step down once I let go. They'll kill her for this."
Etana looked at Apollo now, noticing the flush in his face as he used his magic to hold every single guard in here still. Calixte and Xan too.

She gave him a nod, and the second his magic let go, there were dozens of feet that stepped forward.

"Do not move," Etana spoke loudly, and just like that, dozens of feet halted.
Her face was blank as she could only stare with hatred at the elf in her courtroom. Feet surrounded by the blood of her oldest friend.

The assassin did not look proud, or cocky. She just looked blank. Having nothing further to say. "We cannot kill her or we risk the Gods' anger." Etana looked at all of the Guards who watched her, angry and restrained. "If any of you decide to take that risk into your own hands, be warned that you will no longer have hands." She spared her guards one more glance before turning back to Adira. "Seize her."

The elf put up no struggle. She was vastly outnumbered. Her knees cracked against the floor as they slammed her into it, holding her by anything possible.
Etana glared down.

"The obsidian cell, leave her there. I want twenty of you on her at a time." She looked for Elex then, having waited for his confirmation to the command before she felt herself pale. She wouldn't find him, and would never again hear him reply. Etana swallowed thickly.

Apollo moved forward. "I'll oversee it, Your Majesty." He headed right for them, the guards letting him through fluidly.
Rage was welling up inside Etana and her lips trembled with it.
She looked over all her guards.

"She cannot be killed." Her voice danced throughout the whole room. "But the ancient laws do not prohibit her from being harmed." She watched as realization hit them all, their anger and need for revenge suffocating the room. And she saw as Adira could do nothing but accept the fate headed for her.

Etana watched as they dragged the assassin out, not allowing her to stand. She remained frozen on the spot, only Xan and Calixte remaining.

"Etana-"

But the Queen was descending her steps now, eyes entirely focused on Elex. His drained body and empty eyes. Her own were already welling with tears. "Leave me."

And they did.