Birthday Girl

You know the greatest present I've gotten for my 16th birthday ? Not having to take another test for a month or so . I'm kidding ... well mostly .

Birthdays are a kind of a meh in my household. When my sister and I were kids we made it a big deal coz we saw the amazing birthday parties and presents other kids at school got but I guess I grew out of that sort of phase . Until my beautiful friendship group formed .

They gave me some of my best memories. We have this tradition at birthdays since none of us can fulfill our pinterest board dreams of receiving fancy dresses or lavish skin care . So instead our gift bags consisted of one practical gift like stationary or scrunching or hijab pins , one snack always chocolate for me (I've been jealous of Charlie and the chocolate factory since year 2 ) one hilarious random gift last time coco got a pawpatrol  backpack which she actually wears and finally a handmade gift like baked goods or a bracelet .
All bought from poundland of course coz we're broke girlies .

My mum always wishes me a happy birthday and sometimes makes me masala dosas (my desi girls know what I'm talking about) and my sister sends me a text with a happy birthday meme.And my dad I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm still 12.

No birthday parties , no expensive restaurants , no extravagant surprises but good vibes , good friends and fun .

"Hey I have change "announces Coco jingling her purse

"Ok ... and " Z replies amused

School just finished and we're all in the middle of discussing and predicting our grades.

"You gonna pay your way to get a a 9 " teases Tia to Coco

"Nooo since its our precious sapphires birthday why don't we go to the chicken shop ." States Coco

"Y'know I don't feel like cooking and it's my birthday and I am craving fries so ? "

"Yeah"
"Lets do it "
"ok!"

Everyone agrees.

...

"Z why did you ask the guy for tooth picks " Tia asks curiously

"You'll see"

We all watch as Tia takes a burger and stabs toothpicks into the bun counting each one under her breath. Then she takes the same number of chips dipping each in ketchup and scewers them onto the toothpicks.

"Birthday burger " she says proudly pushing it to the middle of our table.

"That's actually so smart " Coco says

"I think you started a new tradition " Tia smiles

"Well what are ya waiting for blow out the candles" Z urges .

They all start half laughing half singing happy birthday while I'm trying to munch each of the 16 chips

Until i hear a few more familiar voices joins in .

Instantly my head lifts up my mouth still stuffed with chips .

The boys.

"Hey chipmunk " Khalil says .

I quickly cover my moth swallowing the chips .

"Mm I prefer Saf " I say

Khalil shrugs his shoulders smiling .

"Y'know there's a cake box down the street " says Dawood

"Ahh but this is a unique master piece which belongs in the great British bake off " Zahra states

Dawood steals one of her fries

"You wanna join us " Tia asks

A bunch of "yeah" and "cool" and "calm " come as replies typical boyish responses .