six

Past

Summer break had finally arrived, offering relief after the stressful board exams. All around, kids were out and about, playing from morning till night. Yuvraj was hitting the gym regularly, focusing on bodybuilding, while Vidhi, eager to make some extra cash before college began, asked neighbors if they knew of any odd jobs. She needed the money to buy a cell phone; keeping in touch with Yuvraj had become a challenge since school ended. Despite living in the same chawl and their fathers working together in the same company, they kept their relationship under wraps, avoiding gossip from nosy neighbors. Days passed without much communication between them, leaving Vidhi longing for Yuvraj's presence, even though they were just a few steps away from each other in their chawl.

Yuvraj schemed a sneaky escapade with his partner in mischief, Saanvi—his younger sister—to the bustling fair nearby. He whispered his plan to Saanvi, entrusting her with the secret that him and Vidhi were a thing. His sister, a willing co-conspirator for the right price, was bribed with all she desired, her demands met to secure her assistance. "Saanvi, I want to take Vidhi on a date," he revealed cautiously, "and I need your help. If you assist me, I'll allow you to third-wheel with us at the fair."

With a mischievous glint in her eye, Saanvi demanded a mountain of sweets, a new set of comic books, and an evening of unlimited video game access. "Deal," she exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear, "I'll make sure nobody suspects a thing!"

Saanvi, armed with a foolproof plan, made her way to Vidhi's house, persuading her to join in on a game her friends had organized. As they hurried out, the nosy aunties intercepted, asking about their plans and advising them to spend time learning domestic skills like cooking and sewing. Saanvi, quick-witted as ever, retorted with a touch of sass, "Sorry, we're late for our 'Mind Your Own Business' seminar. Catch you later!" They dashed off, leaving the aunties taken aback by Saanvi's response.

****

At the fair, Yuvraj eagerly waited for the two girls to show up. When they finally arrived, Vidhi couldn't believe her eyes – it seemed like it was all Yuvraj's scheme.

"Hey, brother, I've brought your girlfriend," Saanvi chuckled as she playfully put Vidhi's hand in Yuvraj's.

"Thanks," Yuvraj grinned, drawing Vidhi closer to him.

"Now, about my fee? Pay up, and I'll leave you two alone to enjoy the fair," Saanvi said, holding out her hand, waiting for her share of the deal.

"Here, but stick around where I can see you," Yuvraj, the caring older brother, handed her some money.

Excited, Saanvi dashed off to her favorite candy shop, making Yuvraj and Vidhi laugh at her playful enthusiasm.

"You told Saanvi about us?" Vidhi asked, walking hand in hand with Yuvraj.

"Yeah. This plan needed her, and she's good at keeping secrets. Don't worry, she's reliable," Yuvraj explained.

"Your sister is something else," Vidhi chuckled, remembering Saanvi's antics.

"That she is," he laughed, glancing over to find Saanvi gobbling down candies.

"Guess what she wants to be when she grows up? You won't believe it," Yuvraj said, almost choking with laughter, as they strolled hand in hand around the fair.