Chapter Twenty-One: Gift

Asher Adair
One Month Later

"I'm just checking in! The college called to have me fix something on my application, and I'm growing rather irritated with this push and pull. I could do summer classes if they just give me an acceptance letter!"

I chuckled as I leaned back in my desk chair. "Sunflower, it's only March. I'm sure they want to make sure everything is all up to standard. You've attended there before, and I know your grades were good. Try your best not to stress."

Cameron huffed as I heard him around several people talking. I knew he made it to campus. "I'm starting to feel like it's not going to happen. If it's not, I have other options, and I can pursue them. The only stress I'm under is them constantly calling to tell me to come in and fix things. Why not call me for an interview? That would be far more helpful. Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry. I didn't see you." He cleared his throat. "Oops, didn't see her there. Anyway, I'm here. I'll stop by your apartment on my way back to Carter's house. Cade moved out, as you know, so we're going to meet together and discuss where I want to stay."

I held my tongue and only smiled. "Okay, Sunflower. If you need anything, let me know, okay? I'm heading home early. Did you drive?"

"I did." He paused for a second. "Sorry, one second, ma'am. Let me just end my call." He sighed. "I drove, so I'm okay to make a quick escape. I have to make my statement in a couple of days, and okay, I'm stressing. I've waited long enough, though. Will you be there?"

"There is nowhere else I need to be except for there."

I could practically see him smile. "Okay, well, I'll see you in a couple of hours. I love you."

"I love you, too. Be careful."

"For you, I will."

For the last month since the triplet's birthday, Cameron has been progressing every single day. He worked with Carter, Cade, and Mira as Carter was only two weeks away from launching his brand. He comes over quite a few nights out of the week, especially when he is hitting one of his bad days. Trauma doesn't always pick when it's time to simmer completely down, and honestly, it probably never will. But I knew Cameron was going to continue fighting against it every single day.

Every time he hits a low, they don't last as long as the last. He immediately seeks help from his therapist, works with the techniques he learned, and moves forward. As for me, I've been doing just about the same. When I first found out everything revolved around Cameron, I wasn't sure how the hell I was going to get out of the black hole it sucked me in. But after learning the details from Cameron and having conversations about how we both felt, I continued therapy. It eventually became work we had to do aside from one another.

I had to learn to forgive myself for the things I couldn't control. I had to look toward the future and stop being stuck in the past. Neither one of us could go back and change any conversation we had the morning Cameron showed up at my dorm. I couldn't force myself to see something was off that day. There was nothing we could do to change it. All I could do was heal from the demons that danced and continue forward. I hate what happened to Cameron. I would kill him if I had the chance, and that would never change. I wouldn't, but I wanted to.

James was still lurking out of jail but hadn't once made contact with Cameron. But even Cameron told me never to let the silence take down any of my defenses. Expect the unexpected. I didn't ever feel like I could relax, and the thought of Cameron being out in public without anyone with me would continue to make me nervous. I hated it, but he was his own person. I couldn't control what he did. He told me he was prepared if worst came to worst, and I believed him. He was strong. He had willpower. He was bright. And I knew he could protect himself. I just hate the thought of that piece of shit ever laying another hand on Cameron.