Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A few more days had past.  Sammy still hadn’t woken up yet, and I went back to work on Monday.  Things were starting to pass faster than I could comprehend what was even going on.  Carly seemed to be back to normal and her and Harry were great together.  But no matter how good things were getting, I couldn’t feel happy.  Sammy was still in the hospital and we were here having fun.  I hadn’t gone to see her since I first learned about the crash.  I didn’t want to see her lying on the hospital bed looking broken and fragile.  I don’t know how I’d take it.  But I felt extremely guilty for not visiting her too.

“Niall?” I spoke up, looking at him.  We were sitting on the couch, cuddled up together, watching TV.

“What’s the matter?” He asked, looking at my face.

“Will you come and visit Sammy with me today?” I whispered.

“Sure, when do you want to leave?”

“After lunch?”

“Okay, are you sure about this?” He asked, kissing my temple.

I played with my fingers, “I feel guilty; I haven’t seen her since the crash.”

He put a hand over mine, “Don’t feel guilty, you should go when you’re ready.”

“Thank you Niall,” I said kissing him lightly and then snuggling back into his chest.

Honestly, I was nervous to go see Sammy.  I mean she is my best friend, practically my sister.  I couldn’t in my wildest dream ever imagine something like this would happen; and especially to her.

I sat in the car, shaking my foot and playing with my fingers, on the way to the hospital.  Niall placed his hand over mine, telling me not to worry.

I took a deep breath, staring at the door in front of me.  Looking at Niall, he gave me an encouraging smile, and finally I walked through the door.  I cringed a little at the sight of Sammy hooked up to so many machines.  Sitting down on the chair beside the bed, I let out a small sigh.   I never wanted this to happen to her. 

“I’m sorry Sammy,” I whispered, a tear running down my cheek.

I sat there the rest of the day, only leaving a few times to get food or go to the bathroom.  Niall was sitting out in the waiting area, refusing to leave, although I told him he didn’t have to wait for me.

It was almost midnight, when I finally decided to go home. I went to wake Niall up, and let out a small giggle, when I saw him sleeping in the chairs with his mouth fully open.  I shook his shoulder, trying to get him awake.

“Niall, can we go now?”

He let out a small groan, before opening his eyes.  It was then that I noticed how close we were and quickly backed up, blushing.

“I’m ready to go,” I said, not meeting his eyes.

“Okay,” He said his voice thick with sleep.

His hand found mine as we were walking, and a small smile slipped onto my face.  All of a sudden, in the darkness, flashes started going off.

I felt my arm being tugged at and then I was shoved into the car, the flashes still going off.

“What the hell!” I exclaimed.

“Sorry ‘bout that, I forgot about paparazzi.”

“I swear I’ve gone blind,” I muttered, rubbing at my eyes.

“Sorry,” Niall said again.

“Is it always like that?” I asked.

I heard him sigh, “Sadly, yeah.”

My sight was finally coming back as we arrived home.  I was so happy I wasn’t seeing white anymore.  Surprisingly the boys’ weren’t in my apartment.  It was a little weird, it was too quiet.  I walked to my room, looking around, still unsure of the quietness.  I changed into some sweatpants and a t-shirt, throwing my hair up in a bun.  I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and then went to bed.

I drifted off into a deep sleep.  Well, I tried to at least…  I lied in bed, staring up at the ceiling.  Letting out a sigh, I flipped off the covers and threw my legs over the side of the bed.  I grabbed a blanket, wrapping it around myself, noticing that it was extremely cold.  Almost as if someone was controlling my legs, I walked out of my room and towards the guest bedroom.  Slowly I opened the door and snuck inside, shutting it behind me.

“Hailey?”

I walked over towards the bed, “Can I sleep with you?” I asked, feeling extremely stupid.

I couldn’t make out a lot in the darkness, but I saw him flip the covers over and motioning for me to get in.  I slid into the bed, moving towards him.  His arms wrapped around me, and this time, I actually did drift off into a deep, comfortable and warm, sleep.

When I woke up I looked around, confused for a moment.  My cheeks started to get warm, remembering how I asked to sleep with Niall last night.  But looking next to me, Niall wasn’t there.  I got out of the bed, wrapping my blanket around myself again.  Walking towards my room, I stopped at the thermometer and turned up the heat.  I threw my blanket on my bed and walked into my bathroom, stripping my clothes, and getting in the shower.  I took a long shower, making sure to scrub off every bit of dirt.  I felt as if I hadn’t taken a shower in a month or something.  Once I finished I wrapped a towel around myself and dried myself and my hair off.  Wrapping the towel around me once again, I went in search of clothes for the day.  I put on a shirt, which had a Minnie mouse bow and had her name in silver all over, with some plain denim shorts.  I left my hair down and walked through my apartment, finding no one here.  I cleaned up some dishes, putting them in the dishwasher, and started cleaning the rest of the apartment.  I vacuumed up the popcorn in the living room and threw away the empty bags.  Once the living room was finished I cleaned the guest room, kitchen and lastly my room.

I heard the front door open when I was under my bed, trying to reach the last piece of garbage.  I could tell it was the boys’ and Carly from their voices.  Finally I reached the empty bottle and threw it in my garbage bag as footsteps stopped behind me.

“So where’d you guys go?” I asked, assuming it was Niall.

I got up tying the garbage bag, “Oh you know just places.”

I stopped what I was doing, that definitely wasn’t Niall.  Turning around, I let out a scream, launching myself at Sammy.

“Hailey….dying….here….” she muttered.

            I quickly let go of her, still grinning, “I can’t believe you’re out of the hospital!”

I noticed the boys’ standing behind her, and gave them a glare, “And why didn’t you guys wake me up when you knew?”

“We wanted it to be a surprise, which it worked!” Louis spoke up, with a grin on his face.

“I’ll never understand how guys think,” I muttered, mainly to myself.

“I know right, they’re so confusing,” Sammy whispered to me.

I looked over at her surprised, “Hey, I have an idea.”

“And what would that be?” I asked her.

“We should confuse the boys by talking in Spanish.”

I let out a laugh, “What are you guys planning?” Harry asked.

“Nada.”

“Um…..what?” Louis asked, clearly confused.

“Me gusta el pollo, y tú?” Sammy asked, turning towards me.

“Me gusta el bistec más,” I replied.

“I think they’re speaking a different language,” I heard someone whisper.

“Ya está todomudo,” Carly said.

The three of us looked at each other and burst out laughing.   It was definitely great to have Sammy back.