I.III

Chapter 3 - Family...or Not

SOON, WE MADE it back to his apartment

SOON, WE MADE it back to his apartment. I took a deep breath in before opening the door and walking inside with him. Now you may be wondering: Kyra, why did you take a deep breath in? Well, in the living room, Percy's stepdad, Smelly Gabe (notice the word 'Smelly'), was playing poker with his equally disgusting friends.

"So, you're home," he said, not looking up at us. I scowled and rolled my eyes, but didn't say anything in response. What happened to 'hi, how are you?' when seeing someone?

"Where's my mom?" Percy asked.

"Working. You got any cash?"

I could feel my scowl deepen at his words. He seemed to have gained weight since the last time I saw him, but I couldn't be sure. All I knew was that he was just as gross.

One thing he did that never failed to piss me off was that he always expected Percy to pay for his gambling funds. I mean gambling, really? If you were asking someone-nevermind a middle schooler-to help pay for your gambling addiction, then clearly you were never good at it to begin with. What made me even more pissed off, which I didn't think was possible, was that he also expected me to pay for them as well. How greedy can one man possibly be? I mean, I don't even live here for God's sake!

"I don't have any cash," Percy told him. Gabe raised an eyebrow at this.

"You took a taxi from the bus station," he stated. "Probably paid with a twenty. Got six, seven bucks in change. Somebody expects to live under this roof, he ought to carry his own weight. Am I right, Eddie?"

"Seems like you do have a brain, but only when it benefits you. What are the odds?" I mumble this to myself, but Smelly, Ugly, Old Guy hears it and glares at me.

Eddie looked at us with a twinge of sympathy. "Come on, Gabe. The kid just got here."

"Am I right?" Gabe repeated. Eddie didn't say anything to that.

"Fine!" Percy said, throwing a wad of cash on the table. "I hope you lose."

As we began to walk away, Gabe spoke up again.

"You too, girl. You don't get to come into this household without paying the expenses." I clenched my fists, holding back from punching him in the face. I dug into my pocket and grabbed a few dollars I had. Of course I didn't give him everything, but he didn't have to know that. I slammed them on the table and gave him a sarcastic grin.

"Happy?" I said angrily, walking away before he could give me a response.

Percy and I walked into his room, and he slammed the door shut. He put his suitcase on his bed while I placed mine on the floor.

"I can't believe you can put up with him everyday! He's so-ugh!" I clench my jaw tightly. "I could just rip his organs out-he is so irritating!"

Percy nods and laughs at my antics, "Welcome to my world, pepper." I glare at him as he calls me that nickname and decide to tackle him to the ground, earning a yelp from him.