𝟎𝟎𝟕

╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ACT ONEˊˎ-

╰┈➤ ❝ [𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟎𝟎𝟕] ❞                  

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

୨⎯ "I'm not a baby, thank you very much." ⎯୧

ᵀʰʳᵉᵉ ᵐᵒⁿᵗʰˢ , ᵒⁿᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵃ ʰᵃˡᶠ ʷᵉᵉᵏˢ ⁱⁿ

ᵀʰʳᵉᵉ ᵐᵒᵗʰˢ , ʰᵃˡᶠ ʷᵉᵉᵏˢ

The door creaked open to Madylins hut and a faint glow from a small torch began to illuminate the space, casting shadows on the walls.

"Linie?" Mason whispered as he cautiously stepped inside, his eyes scanning the room. 'Linie' was the nickname Madylin had quickly earned from the boy as they became close. "Are you up?"

Madylin stirred from her sleep, groggily sitting up and rubbing her eyes. "Hm? What's wrong?" she asked, still half-asleep.

"I can't sleep," Mason replied, making his way over to the girl's bed. She instinctively reached out for him and he quickly settled into her arms. "I had another nightmare."

"It's okay," she comforted him, holding him close. "Where's Murphy?"

As Madylin looked around the room, still holding onto the young boy, she couldn't help but wonder where Murphy, a German Shepherd who had been sent up with Mason, was hiding. Alby and Gally had found him in a crate when they went to clear the box, and as soon as the dog was taken out, he immediately ran to Mason's side. It was believed that the Creators had sent the dog up with Mason because it was his pet, but Madylin secretly thought that Murphy was meant to protect the twelve-year-old boy.

The dog would stay by his side no matter what, whether it was under his hammock as he slept, or when he went to go do his job. Not even Nick or Minho could separate the two.

It wasn't long ago that Mason had arrived in the Glade. He had been chosen as a Runner by vote after testing everywhere else and not fitting in anywhere else. The day he found out he was going to become a Slopper, he cried until Minho and Madylin called for a vote to make him a Runner. He had the speed and agility, and everyone knew it. He trained with Minho for a month before stepping into the Maze for the first time. And when Minho felt he was ready, he took him on a half-day run to test his skills. Nick had initially protested, worried about sending a young kid into the dangerous Maze, but he couldn't deny that Mason was almost as fast, if not faster, than Minho. It was clear that Mason was meant to be a Runner, and both Madylin and Minho believed in him.