𝟎𝟎𝟒

╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ACT ONEˊˎ-

╰┈➤ ❝ [𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟎𝟎𝟒] ❞                  

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

୨⎯ "Aw, Gallinator is starting to like me," ⎯୧

ᵀʷᵒ ʷᵉᵉᵏˢ, ᵒⁿᵉ ᵈᵃʸ ⁱⁿ

As soon as Madylin got offered a position as a Medjack, word spread like wildfire throughout the Glade. The boys were excited about the new Medjack, especially one as pretty as Madylin. The two weeks of being a Medjack was busy, with a constant flow of injured boys lining up outside the Medjack hut. The other medjacks couldn't help but notice the increase and began to suspect that some of the boys were purposely injuring themselves just to spend time with the ginger haired girl.

"Hey, what's going on? Why are there so many injuries?" Jeff asked, helping Madylin bandage up a particularly nasty cut on a boy's arm while looking over at the line of boys into the Medhut.

"I think they just want an excuse to see our lovely new Medjack," Clint teased from across the room, earning a playful swat from the girl.

"Boys will be boys," she said with a shrug.

The boys would volunteer to bring the other boys to the Medjack hut, even if they weren't injured. They just wanted an excuse to see the girl. Poor Jeff and Clint, the other two Medjacks, were overwhelmed by the amount of boys coming and going from the hut. They had no idea that taking Madylin in as a Medjack would lead to this chaos.

Nick, being the leader, often had to step in and shoo the other Gladers off. He knew that if they didn't give Madylin some space, she wouldn't be able to do her job properly. Madylin, however, didn't mind the attention. Being a Medjack kept her busy, and she liked that. She didn't have much time to think about the what-ifs, and she was grateful for that.

But as the days went by, she would skip lunch to keep working. Newt, who had taken a liking to the small girl, and Frypan, who began to look at her like a little sister, had noticed this and wanted to help. They would hand-deliver her a sandwich and keep her company while she worked. They also made sure she actually ate something, sometimes scolding her in the process for not taking care of herself.

Madylin also quickly became an integral part of Newt's life. Even if she had gotten lunch, he still found himself stopping by and checking in on her. He subconsciously looked forward to the moments he got to be in her presence. She was not only a good Medjack but also he found himself being able to confide in her. He would come to her for advice, and she would listen patiently and offer words of comfort, and he'd do the same for her.