9 - Lovers Through Borders.

As expected, the two arrived back to Ruis home in the hidden forest before sundown, and just in time to join Nene and Mafuyu for dinner. Having been caught up in conversation, the girls didn't even notice the boys arriving home. "Oh, Welcome back!" Mafuyu greeted them. "I'll go grab some cutlery and plates" She stood up and gestured for the two to join her and Nene at the table. Rui was about to protest, saying that he would do that, but Mafuyu was gone to the kitchen and back with the utensils before he got the chance. "I- thank you, Mafuyu" he took the plates from her arms and placed them in front of where he and Tsukasa would be sitting. "So" Nene began. "How did it go?" Rui yet again responded cheerfully as he scooped some of the food onto his plate. "Wonderful, I have to revisit in a few weeks and then the bond will be put into place" he explained. "And I got to meet an old acquaintance of mine!" Tsukasa added. "Oh? "Mafuyu turned to face Tsukasa. "Yeah! Sir Akito Shinonome!" he beamed. "I remember him! He joined not too long after you, yes? How lovely!" Mafuyu smiled. "It was nice, but i'm getting off topic here, the bond, Rui?" He urged Rui to continue. "Thank you, my dear, but there's not much more to say.." Rui said awkwardly. "Ok, I know we do this nearly every night but me and Mafuyu both agree that your relationship is way too interesting to be gatekept.." Nene addressed the boys, who knew what this meant. Question time. "With that being said how did you two get together?" She asked. "It's a long story.." Tsukasa chuckled nervously. "That's ok, we'll listen" Tsukasa took a deep breath in and waited for Ruis nod of approval before continuing. "It was a few years ago, The Asahina Kingdom and Hidden forest were at all out war following the untimely death of King Kamishiro Sr, so who better to target than the newly crowned King, aka Rui"

"I was 17, so was Tsukasa" Rui added. "That young.." Mafuyu gasped. "So I found him, somewhere in the woods and had him pinned down with my sword, threatening death right to his face, but yet his answer-"

"My answer was an interesting choice of words, somewhat amusing" Rui took over. "I distinctly remember saying 'why would such a pretty Knight like you want to kill me?' and Tsukasa was going so pink that he stood back, which gave me the chance to get up again." Rui almost laughed at his own words. "Well, it's not exactly an easy conversation to forget... and might I remind all your this was coming from someone whos head probably wasn't exactly in the best place, but then he said, 'and no, that wasn't a decoy, I genuinely think you look great, hello there, I'm Rui Kamishiro, and you are?' as if nothing happened?!"

"And of course, our dear Tsukasa didn't even hesitate to tell me, despite the risks, 'I-Im uh- Tsukasa Tenma, sir, uh - Sorry?' he was very confused, stuttering over every word!"

Nene and Mafuyu locked eye contact, concerned about this story of the two troubled teenagers they had just heard. "So when did the romance start?" Mayuyu asked. "Well you see, after that myself and Tsukasa chose to talk rather than fight which was something we both needed at the time. He told me about how he was beginning to hate his Kingdom and was was regretting some decisions and I told him about how I fell under so much pressure now that I was king and had nobody to guide me, and eventually we agreed that the next time we were in battle and had done our necessary work, that we would meet and talk again to see how the other was doing"

"And overtime it become a tradition, we would sit at different points beside the edge of Peace river, and our friendship grew and grew and a few months later we conveyed feelings for eachother and because the world was so unpredictable back then, we got married not too long after, when we were 18, so yeah"

Mafuyu and Nene eyed the two back and forth, how were they so calm about this? "We should probably finish eating before. the food goes cold" he smiled "Uh.. what a heartwarming story!" Mafuyu said, trying to change the topic. "Um.. about joining the defence force, Tsukasa.."

"Oh yes! I completely forgot!" Tsukasa exclaimed. "I can show you where abouts in the village it is tomorrow!" She offered. Tsukasa looked at Rui puzzledly. Rui's eyes lit up. "Yeah! It's deep within the forest, so not many people know about it, it's one of the, if not the safest towns on the continent!" He boasted. "I'll show you around when we go tomorrow" Mafuyu added. "That sounds great, I'm excited now!"

After everything was cleaned, Rui lay on his bed sleepily and Tsukasa sat at the bedroom desk, scribbling something onto a piece of parchment. "What's that?" Rui asked hazily. "A letter for my sister" the latter responded. "I want to tell her that i'm ok and how great it is here, and about what King Toya said!" he gushed. Jotting down a few more lines, he then handed it to Rui. "I like how it gives details without you saying where you specifically are, and how you were able to mention about Toyas kingdom without mentioning having contact, it's clever" He said.

"Thanks! Hopefully she'll have it soon if I send it tomorrow" Tsukasa replied. "Or... she could have it now? I'll teleport it to her using my magic, that way you're sure she has it" Rui suggested . "Really!?"

"Yep, just let me know when and you're done" The excitement and joy on Tsukasa's face was lovable, adorable, even. "I'm done now!" He said as Rui tried to hand it back to him. "Alright then."

Still laying clown, Rui held the paper above his chest, closed his eyes and muttered a spell to himself and with a few gold sparks, the letter was gone. Tsukasa hopped onto the bed and wrapped his arms around Rui. "I love you"

"I love you too, Kasa" Rui kissed him on the forehead.

The next morning, Mafuyu and Tsukasa set off to the village. It was a bit far away but worth it because it was absolutely beautiful. It had been built to blend in and suit the surrounding environment, making it feel earthly and fresh. There were many people around too, markets lined up around the street, children playing, it was like the air was filled with the purest of happiness. Tsukasa began to wonder, was the feeling of being watched normal? He knew that he stood out with his silky blonde hair, but surely Mafuyu was at least recognised as the Kings assistant in the Kingdoms defence force-? "AHHH!" He quickly turned to the muffled sound of Mafuyu screaming, but she was nowhere to be seen. He picked up a loose branch from the ground in a panic."

"What's that going to do, Tenma? Graze me?" A familiar voice rung behind. To his horror, Ichiro Yamamoto was standing facing him, a real, silver sword in hand. "You- where's the Princess!?" Tsukasa roared. "Aw, you should be more concerned where that husband of yours is, not here to save you yet? How pitiful" Ichiro joked. "Don't you dare mention his-"

His arguments and screams were suddenly muffled and everything was dark, was he.. dead?