23 | Moonlit Confessions

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

"What's the special occasion?" my mom asks, her eyes curious as I admire the beautiful gold gown I purchased yesterday.

"Yeah, Dominic's family invited me to a gala," I say with a smile.

"I couldn't be happier for you, my beautiful daughter. I remember when you'd call me and talk about Marco. I was worried because I know you better than anyone else in the world. It always felt like you were trying to convince yourself you loved him. But with Dominic, it's different. It's effortless."

"How come you never said anything?" I ask, smiling.

She reaches her hand toward me, gently holding my face. "Because I wanted you to figure it out for yourself. Only then could you be sure of what you truly wanted. I couldn't make that decision for you." She smiles back.

"I love you, Mommy," I say, embracing her.

"I love you too, pitit fim," she says, and I cry in her arms, feeling a closeness we haven't shared in a while. (My daughter.)

"I have to go get my hair done," I say, pulling away and brushing my hand through it.

"Alright, then I won't keep you. Be safe," she tells me as I head to the living room to grab my bag and walk to the door.

When I've made it downstairs, I smile at the old lady who sometimes sleeps in front of my apartment. "Hey, Gloria."

"Hey, Gia! Where are you off to at this time?" she asks, smiling.

"About to get my hair done. It's a mess," I admit with a smile.

"You look beautiful as always," she reminds me.

"Actually, I was about to go get breakfast first. Did you want to come with?"

"Oh, I don't want to be a bother."

"You're not bothering me at all," I promise her.

"Alright then, if you insist," she smiles, getting up and grabbing her stuff.

About five minutes later, we arrive at a small restaurant nearby. "What would you like? It's on me," I tell her. She proceeds to tell the waiter her order, and I do the same.

As I look at Gloria's beautiful brown skin that still glows despite her condition and her silver hair, everything about her reminds me of my late grandmother, whom I miss dearly.

"You know, Gloria, you remind me of someone very special to me," I say, smiling weakly, thinking back to the memories of my grandmother.

"Who is it?" she asks, curiosity in her eyes.

"My grandmother," I reply.

"What was her name?" she smiles.

"Odette."

"Odette Louis?" she asks.

"How'd you know?" I ask, surprised.

"She was my friend," she smiles.

"I heard about her living in Chicago back in the '70s."

"That's around the time I met her. She was such a great friend to me."

"Wow. What was she like back then?"

"A lot like you. She was kind, beautiful, tall, strong," she smiles.

"Thank you," I say, tears welling up.