14 | Heartbound

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

"Gianna?" Dominic calls out, his voice carrying a mix of concern and confusion as I continue to walk away from him.

"Where are you going?" he asks, catching up with hurried steps, his eyes searching mine for answers.

"Train station," I reply, my voice a blend of determination and frustration, the echoes of our unresolved conversation lingering in the air.

"What? But I was going to give you a ride," he protests, a hint of sincerity in his tone.

"I told you not to come here again, Dominic. Why don't you listen?" I ask, turning around, and in my exasperation, my hand accidentally brushes against his chest, creating an unexpected closeness. As I slowly lift my head to look into his mesmerizing eyes, a tension builds between us.

"Damn it, Tesero. Maybe because I need to be close to you," he confesses, his voice filled with an urgency that matches the intensity in his gaze.

"Why do you need to be close to me?" I ask, my frustration evident as I chew on the inside of my mouth, trying to make sense of what's going on between us.

He grabs my waist, pulling me impossibly closer, and utters, "Because... you're mine."

"Stop playing around," I say before turning around to resume my journey. But he walks after me, determined.

I roll my eyes, knowing that he'll just keep walking after me. The air is thick with unspoken emotions as we head toward the train station, a magnetic pull keeping us in each other's orbit.

When we reach the train station, the hustle and bustle surround us, and I glance over at Dominic, who appears somewhat bewildered by the unfamiliar setting. "Seriously? You don't even know how to pay?" I tease him, swiping my card for him.

"I haven't always lived here," he explains, a trace of unfamiliarity in his response.

"Shit, that's my train," I exclaim when I notice it's about to depart. I sprint towards it, and Dominic follows suit.

A woman observes our haste and holds the door for us. "Thank you," I express my gratitude as I enter, but my joy is short-lived as I realize Dominic isn't beside me. Without a second thought, I exit the train to find him.

"Are you okay?" I ask, noticing he's catching his breath.

"Yeah," he manages to say.

"Great, I've lost the train," I express before sitting on a nearby bench.

"Sorry, Tesero," Dominic apologizes, taking a seat next to me.

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're okay," I reassure him.

"You were worried about me?" he questions, leaning closer. I turn around, avoiding direct eye contact.

"No. I just know you're not used to being around here. You could've gotten lost."

"I appreciate your concern, Tesero, but I would've been fine," he insists, prompting me to face him again.

"Are you saying I should've left you?" I ask him, raising my brow.

"Never," he responds, his eyes intensifying. Our hands nearly touch, and a spark ignites, creating a magnetic connection.

"The next train will be here soon," I inform him after checking my phone. He nods in acknowledgment.

As the train arrives, I ensure Dominic is right behind me, leading us inside, where I secure a seat. Dominic takes the spot beside me.

Returning to my phone, a few minutes pass before I glance up, only to notice a woman seated opposite us, her gaze fixed in a disapproving glare.

Shifting my attention to Dominic, I find him gazing at me, a charming smile gracing his lips. His infectious smile evokes a flutter in my heart, and I can't help but smile back.

His handsome features captivate me in that moment, leaving me momentarily entranced by the warmth of his smile.

Dominic scoots closer, wrapping his arm around me and planting a gentle kiss on my head. "What are you doing?" I whisper.

"They're staring," he replies.

"So?" I respond.

"So I'm giving them something to stare at," he explains before smashing his lips onto mine. I kiss him back with no hesitation.

A few minutes later, he reluctantly pulls away but rest his head on mine.

"Your lips are addictive." He whispers, as his eyes darkens a bit.

As I begin to pull away, he gently stops me by pushing my head back on his shoulder and kisses my forehead. The train journey becomes a blend of shared smiles and subtle intimacies, making me momentarily forget the world outside our cocoon.

"Gianna!" I hear a voice call out, pulling me out of a flashback, bringing me back to the present moment.

"Huh?" I respond to Noah.

"Haven't you heard anything I've said in the past five minutes?"

"No. Sorry," I admit.

"I'm fine," I reassure Noah.

"You're lying," he counters.

"No, really, I'm fine, or at least I will be."

"You want to go somewhere tonight to take your mind off whatever it is you're worrying about?" Noah suggests.

"Um, sure, why not. But I've got to go to class now, so I'll see you later?"

"Okay," he responds before giving me a hug, and I rush to my class to avoid being late.

Five Hours Later

Seated in a restaurant with Noah, I scan the menu as he contemplates his choice. "What are you having?" he asks.

"I don't know. I'll just have what you're having," I decide, and he nods slowly.

Suddenly, a familiar sight catches my eye. I keep looking, confirming my suspicion. Nathaniel and his mother, Lilith, are present, accompanied by a mysterious man I've never seen before.

"What the hell is going on? I thought he'd be in charge by now," the unfamiliar man yells out in frustration.

"Calm down, Malachai. He's almost got it. Just give us a couple of days. We have been working on this for almost two decades; we're almost there," Lilith reassures him.

"I convinced him to let go of his own son, Dad. I got this," Nathaniel adds, leaving me with a frown.

Dad?