The Dead Fly On

≫ ──── ≪ • ⭙ • ≫ ──── ≪

A portrait of Iceman presides over his funeral. An American flag is presented to his wife. Her sons, their wives and small children are all by her side. A large group of Naval Officers and their families are in attendance. Officers are all in crisp dress blues. Maverick stands beside Iceman's family. 

Elsewhere, Penny's with Amelia. Cyclone receives the folded flag from the officers and presents it to Sarah. Sarah glances to Maverick who begins his eulogy. 

"Ice understood what it is to be a wingman. A wingman is willing to defend your life with their own...stay with you no matter how impossible the odds... More than anything, a wingman is there to push you beyond your limits, encourage you to find the very best in yourself. Ice was a wingman to his family, his friends, to every life he touched. That is why I know he'll never be truly gone." 

Maverick steps forward to the casket, puts his wings on the casket and salutes. 

Ranger and the trainees are in attendance too, along with many Top Gun graduates. Ranger watches Mav step away from the casket... ...as there's the rumbling crescendo of jets as the Navy's blue angles streak overhead. One pulls up into a vertical climb: the "missing man" formation. Maverick and Ranger make eye contact. 

Mav looks away.

* * *

Maverick stands before Cyclone, seated at his desk. 

"I can only imagine what you must be feeling. Take some time. Whatever you need."

"I appreciate that, sir. But there's no time. The mission is in-"

"I'll be taking over the training from here."

"Sir..."

"We both know you didn't want this job, Captain."

"Sir, there is only one way to fly this mission."

"There's never only one way."

"They're not ready."

"It was your job to get them ready."

"They have to believe the mission can be flown."

"All you've managed to teach them is that it can't."

"Sir, I-"

"You're grounded, Captain. Permanently. That is all."

Maverick lingers, searches for words.

"That is all."

Maverick nods and exits. 

* * *

 Penny is on the porch, waiting for Maverick. 

"I heard. I'm sorry."

Maverick sighs. 

"What're you gonna do?" She asks.

"Ice is gone."

"Then you're gonna have to find a way back on your own."

"Back? Penny, I'm out. It's over."

"But you're not finished. And you'll never be finished if you let it end like this. They're your pilots. If anything happens to them now, you'll never forgive yourself."

"Penny, what can I do?"

"If you'd lost your wingman up there, you'd keep fighting. You'd never just give up."