Jets Roar like Lions

≫ ──── ≪ • ⭙ • ≫ ──── ≪

Ranger rides up on his bike, arriving at a stately officer's home right on the ocean. Children are playing the backyard. The sound of laughter. Ranger is greeted at the door by Sarah Kazansky. 

"Girls, girls, why don't you head outside?"

She hugged him.

He noticed he sad look in her eyes.

"Ranger." 

She tries to smile. Can't. 

That's when Ranger realized.

"It's come back."

"No one knows. He's still on active duty."

"Sarah..." He hugs her again. 

Her eyes well with tears and he hugs her. 

Maverick enters quietly. Sarah closes the door behind him. 

"Admiral."

A man sits at a desk with his back to Ranger, dressed warmly, too warm for the room, not a blonde hair out of place. His head is turned to the window, watching the children play in the yard. 

"How's my favorite Uncle?" 

He doesn't answer. Instead, he turns to the laptop on his desk and types. As Ranger approaches. They share a smile that quickly fades... 

ON SCREEN: I want to talk about work. 

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. What can I do for you?" Ranger asks. 

Ice points to his reviously written owrks.

Ranger nods.

"Okay. Well I'm still mad at Maverick. Rooster and him worked it out though."

Ice types: There's still time. 

"The mission is less three weeks away. I'm not ready."

Ice types: Then let Pete teach you. 

"I don't want what he has to give."

Ice waves a hand: bullshit. 

"He shouldn't be teaching the mission He should be flying it."

Ice types: It's time to let go.

It pains Ranger to answer. 

"I don't know how." 

Ice waits, knowing not to say anything. 

"I'm a fighter pilot. A naval aviator. A pilot who should have a WSO. I'm not a leader. I'm a wingman. It's not what I am..."

Ice waits. 

"Even if I could, it's not what Maverick wants - it's not what the Navy wants. That's why they canned me the last time. You're the only reason I'm still here."

Ice waits. Ranger takes a long shaky breath, admitting: 

"I get it. Rooster's not the only one holding back. I'm afraid... If I get sent on this mission I might never come home... or worse someone else might not."

Ranger looks at the screen. 

It's time to let go. 

And Ranger nods, reaching the core of it, of himself: 

"I know... I know..."

 Ice stands, but his hands on his friend's shoulders, struggles to speak: 

"The Navy needs Ranger. You're here because they need you. Maverick needs you. They just don't want to admit it. That's why you're still here."