Soaring Above the Clouds

≫ ──── ≪ • ⭙ • ≫ ──── ≪

Admiral Bates walks in and all snap to attention. Cyclone watches from the wings as Warlock steps to a podium and addresses: Rooster, Ranger, Phoenix, Hangman, Coyote, Bob, Payback and Fanboy along with the other pilots.

"Good morning. Take your seats." They all do and he continues.

"I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC Commander. Welcome to your special training detachment. You're all Top Gun graduates, the elite, best of the best. That was yesterday. You've all spent your careers flying close air support for troops on the ground with little to no air-to-air threat."

Phoenix looks to Ranger but his demeanor is stern and focused.

"The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box."

Hangman winks at Phoenix, who just rolls her eyes.

"This mission requires two F-18 Echo solo pilots and two Foxtrot dual seat teams. Half of you will make the cut, half will remain in reserve... One of you will be named Mission Leader."

Rooster and Hangman share a glance before Rooster looks to Ranger but he just ignores him. It's on.

Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary and he is considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced."

Cyclone shakes his head.

What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death. I give you Captain Pete Mitchell, call sign: Maverick."

Rooster, hearing the name, his expression icy. Phoenix shoots him a concerned glance. Ranger shakes his head in disbelief and glares at his father who walks in.

Maverick steps to the podium and the other pilots recognize him immediately. They all squirm, Hangman especially.

Maverick looks past Rooster to Hangman and nods as if to say "that's right." He raises a thick bound

"Good morning. The F-18 NATOPS. It contains everything there is to know about your aircraft. What's the load limit of the F-18?"

"7.5Gs. Section Four, Chapter Five." Hangman replies smugly.

"Max airspeed?"

"Mach 1.8. Section Two, Chapter One." Phoenix says.

Maverick points to Coyote:

"Lift limit?"

"34 Alpha."

"Maximum role rate."

"Two hundred and twenty five degrees per second." Fanboy responds.

"Maximum afterburner."

"42,000 pounds of thrust." Payback replies.

"Max rate of climb, everyone."

"Forty-five thousand feet per minute."

"So you know the manual. Inside and out. Along with the so called limits of your aircraft."

All of the trainees except Rooster and Ranger speak.

"Damn straight, sir."

He drops his copy of the manual in the trash. The trainees react. Cyclone glowers, throws a look to Warlock.