Chapter 1: A Break in Routine

I released a slow breath, and crouched in the dense vegetation that was shielding me from prying eyes. A Yerik was grazing some ways away, partially hidden by the thicket and trees. It was a rare sight to see such an animal in such late hours of the night. They tended to prefer the light hours of the day, safe from the more dangerous predators that roamed the forest at night, and slept soundly during the day.

I shifted my weight, making the leaves of the bush light up ever so slightly as my hands brushed past them, and pulled my bow from my back. Luckily for me, the Yerik hadn't noticed, munching on some blue glowing grass without a care in the world. Sounds of the night drowned out the sound of the bowstring appearing, blue and pulsing with energy. The sounds filled my ears as I pulled the string back, an arrow softly crackling with electricity pointing straight at the unsuspecting animal. Insects chirped loudly, water splashed down a river, over the edge into a waterfall, leaves rustled overhead as the moist and warm wind picked up, carrying with it an Ikran that swooped overhead. It made my insides thrum with energy, and I released another steadying breath.

I let the arrow fly. A screech. Then silence. I waited in my hiding spot, making sure no other predators had heard the cries. The forest was still thrumming, busy despite the late hour, but nothing was making its way towards me. Good.

I put my bow away, the energy shutting down as I did, and creeped out of my hiding spot. The dirt and moss squished under my step, and waxy leaves brushed past me, lighting up in gentle purples and blues at my touch. I crouched down beside the Yerik, and I cringed when I found it still heaving, fighting to take a breath.

This hadn't happened in a long time. I always tried to make a clean kill. I hated to see my prey in pain, they didn't deserve it.

I pulled out my makeshift knife, and gently laid my hand on its neck. I could feel its connection to its family, grazing some ways away. Their connection to the soil and plants they ate, but supplied with sustenance where they lay dying. And then to me, who this individual would also provide with food. We were all connected in some way, either in positive or negative ways. I didn't want this one to be negative.

I stroked its neck, soothing it the best I could. Though that didn't seem to do much, my claws only put the Yerik more on edge. Instead, I reached out to the shot wound, feeling the pain that radiated from there, and took it away. As I shielded it from its pain, its breathing finally started to even out. As it calmed even further, the Yerik's eyes closed, falling into a peaceful sleep.

I didn't hesitate to stab it in the heart.

The Yerik didn't cry out, didn't even feel the knife as it exhaled heavily one last time, and stilled. I gave its neck one last pat after I felt its connection sever, thanking it for its sacrifice.

I then pulled a leathery leaf from the ground and cleaned my knife with it, before putting it away. Looking up through the thick canopy above me, I could see the sky turning from a deep black into a dark blue. The sun would be rising soon. I'd have to hurry.

I quickly threw the heavy animal over my shoulder, grunting under its weight, my tail swishing to keep my balance. As I tracked back home, insect chirps were replaced by bird songs, and Ikran swoops by swinging Syaksyuks, it was like the night shift was being replaced by the day shift.

I frowned. God, I sounded like dad.

The sky was blood orange when I finally reached my home. The huge tree dwarfed all the others around it, its tiniest roots about as large as the trunks of the other trees. I clambered over a few of the larger roots, before sliding down into the burrow underneath the trunk, hidden away from the dangers the sun brought.

I sighed in relief when I was hit with familiar earthy warmth, the smell of soil, rain, and dried herbs filling my nose. The fireflies also came to life, bathing everything in a warm yellow glow. I quickly stuffed the hole I had come through with leaves and dirt to prevent any of them escaping, while also hiding myself from unwelcome eyes. I then set to work.