Chapter 1

There were many things that Levi Ackerman found annoying in life.

He hated having to wait in long lines at the campus cafe. He hated when the library didn't have the book he wanted to read at hand.

And one thing he especially hated, was being late.

He was late when it came to meeting you. Nowadays, he was even late to class because he was too busy trying to fix up his appearance. All for the slight chance that he would run into you on campus.

There weren't many people who could force Levi out of his comfort zone. Or anyone he felt genuinely close to either, for that matter. He didn't even know why he stuck around the fraternity so much after withdrawing from it. Maybe it was because of their privileges. Maybe it was because of the people. 

This question didn't seem to have a clear definite answer until he found himself sitting by a random woman in their basement. A woman, though odd, managed to amuse him enough to keep coming back. 

It's strange. 

Levi found it all strange. How someone like you... someone so humble yet confident. Someone so sarcastic yet caring... how someone like you managed to fall for someone as dumb as Eren Yeager.

And deep down, he hated the fact that he couldn't bring himself to hate you for it.

Levi didn't expect you to show yourself around him after the party incident. How he gave in to such a low and dirty dare, knowing it was merely an act to invoke jealousy. Jealousy that wasn't even directed towards him. 

He told himself he'd give up on this sudden interest. You deserved a fair and honest chance at a relationship without worrying about his feelings. That was the least he could do.

Holding his phone up with both hands, Levi stared down at your contact information in the silence of his room. You probably didn't have it in yourself to delete his number, he thought. So stepping up and doing it for you was what he considered the best option.

His thumb wavered over the Are you Sure? Option, a sinking feeling in his gut forming. 

It was fine. He would move on. He'll be early to class now and have more time to worry about other things. 

Knock Knock.

Freezing in place, Levi couldn't let out as much as a single breath in that moment. The string of knocks at his dorm entrance filled the silent and tense atmosphere of his room. His firm train of thought was now out the window. 

He didn't have to open that door to know who it was. Nobody ever showed up unannounced like a certain someone did. That much he knew.

With a single sigh, Levi's feet began to move on their own. He should have pretended to be out, or asleep. But the mere idea of you being disappointed and walking away was enough to fill him with guilt.

Maybe, he thought.

Eren was bound to screw up at some point.

With a firm grip on the handle, Levi opened the door with all the courage he could muster at that moment.

He was right. You were there, looking nervous and standing stiffly in front of him.

And as he watched the girl standing before him ramble on, looking everywhere but up at him, he couldn't help but blink.

Yes, Eren Yeager was bound to mess up. Maybe not anytime soon, but eventually. Levi was absolutely sure of it.

And when that time comes...

"Levi?"

Looking back at your nervous expression, he watched as you extended a book in hand out for him to take. 

A piece offering, huh?

He already read the book you were holding up for him to take. But he was content knowing you thought he might like it. Pretending to be oblivious was nothing if it meant seeing you satisfied. 

Extending an arm out towards you, he watched as your lips curved into a soft smile while he accepted the book. The same smile he knew wasn't his, yet ignited a sense of determination in him. 

he'd be damned if he was late this time again.