When time is of the essence...

Is man cursed to have to repeat the same things over and over again without the opportunity to learn anything new? How else can we describe the ignorance with which we go through the world? Is it destiny, fate or merely laziness, with which he evades new things as if he were superior to everything? But where does the truth begin and where does the lie end? Perhaps, in the end, there is a lie in every truth and a truth to be discovered in every lie. As in every fairy tale, every fable and every legend. Perhaps man is a bard who tells of all this in the hope that it will spread.

November 19, 2149

When Clarke awoke the next morning, Lexa was already dressed and standing in front of her chair, holding out a mug of warm tea. Embarrassed, the blonde ran her fingers through her hair and took a sip. "Forgive me for falling asleep instead of watching over you."

"Yesterday was a long day and I never expected you to stay awake. You need your sleep too." The brunette looked at her tenderly. She never thought she would ever feel so protected, so sheltered, despite her role. "But why are you up already instead of lying in bed?" The blonde's voice still sounded a little heavy with sleep, but full of concern.

"Clarke," Lexa spoke softly, almost like a prayer, as if she were paying homage to a goddess. "You've considered so many things, but I would never go long without Gustus, and if I did, it would only be within the city gates of Polis. I can no longer stay away from my duties." Nevertheless, the blonde now stood in front of her and placed her hand on Lexa's forehead. The brunette gently cupped it in her own hands. "I'm feeling much better, I promise. You don't have to worry."

The blonde took another sip and then looked at the steaming liquid. "How can the tea be hot? I heated the last one yesterday."

The commander rubbed the back of his neck, almost embarrassed. "I went into the kitchen this morning while you were still asleep and made you some. After yesterday and the long night, I thought you could do with some refreshment." They both realized that this was not part of their usual duties, but a loving gesture to show the blonde how much Lexa appreciated their presence.

They were still holding hands, both of them well aware of their closeness, Clarke in particular feeling it more intensely than she should. Nevertheless, she enjoyed it for a moment before letting go of the brunette. "Thank you for your efforts." She paused only briefly to give the brunette a grateful smile, which was returned. She glanced at the uniform her counterpart was wearing and hoped she was wrong. "You're leaving?"

Heda nodded. "I'm going to visit the Delfikru for a few days, there have been disputes between them and the Boudalankru over an outstanding peace treaty that requires my presence to settle." As distantly as possible, the brunette tried to relay what she had learned from Titus this morning. She knew what Clarke would think about it and what consequences might await her.

"But... You're not fully recovered yet and isn't there a risk of infection? " Lexa saw the concern in her blue eyes, even more so when she realized what the commander had just said. "And you would have to cross Azgeda territory, wouldn't you?" The cold had already taken on dangerous proportions for them, but it was mild compared to the cold in the mountains.

"It's the quickest way, yes, and the sooner this problem is solved, the sooner I can turn my attention to other urgent matters." And return to you. But Lexa didn't say it. Just as she never did.

"Then let me come with you, I'm certainly not a burden, I could take care of the horses and the provisions." And about you, but Clarke also remained silent.

"Clarke, you're here to keep you safe, not to put you in any more danger." The blonde wanted to protest, but she understood the concerns, even if she would have liked to refute them. "I have instructed Titus to take care of you during my extended absence and have asked your guard Ryder to notify Nyko if there is any change in your health or anything with Titus. I'm asking you to take care of yourself, because I don't want anything to happen to you." The commander didn't like having to leave her alone for so long, but she had no choice. And so she allowed herself to make a familiar gesture and gently stroked a stray strand of hair behind Clarke's ear. Lost in thought, she left her hand where it was. "I wish we could go back to that time when you didn't know who I was, when we could just be ourselves. Just Clarke and Lexa."